Tail Docking

blackas

26 minutes ago, moosmum said:

Seems the gene in Dobes is little understood and tho' some have specialized in trying produce natural Bob tails, Unless there have been advances made, the gene has been some what lethal and has not been worth the heart ache for most. Often expressing as only a kinked tail, maybe a 3/4 or more, or  minus an anus.

A perfect bob tail being far from the only result.

Thanks. I was wondering if it came with negatives. A bit like the curl tail of the pug. Do they show any spinal defects linked to the bob? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FCR4 said:

So in your opinion, her ignorant attack, is justified by ignorance?

If somebody doesn't know about something, then on what basis do they claim it's wrong?

All I did was simply ask the OP a question. 
I didn't attack them, I didn't claim they were wrong.

My attack???? My claim it's wrong??? I've read plenty about the NBT in Rotties over the years. Never seen a word about Dobes

2 hours ago, ~Anne~ said:

Thanks. I was wondering if it came with negatives. A bit like the curl tail of the pug. Do they show any spinal defects linked to the bob? 

I think it can manifest that way as well, though I don't know much about it. I've never had or seen one, or known anyone who has.

That doesn't give most people much reason to look it up or google the subject.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ~Anne~ said:

From what I have read about Stumpy Tail Cattle Dogs and Manx cats, yes they can have problems ranging from no tail stub at all, incomplete spine, to not having an anus. My reading of the STCD is more about their early development and it's possible those problems have been ironed out. I know Manx cats have a different gait to tailed cats but next doors seems to have no problems.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 2 purebred Dobes ... one came docked and the other had her tail. It is my belief that dogs that are born with a tail should keep it, unless it is causing them pain or discomfort/health issues. It is one of the ways they express emotions! Doing it for aesthetics is just abhorrent,  to me. I have never come across a NST - so I learned something tonight .... but I don't believe it makes it a good idea to breed to it. 

As for Stumpy tails, my sister once had a Australian Cattle Dog Stumpy Tail and the ONLY one of the litter of 8  that was "normal" .... to look at! Then she bred her a couple of years later to a top ACD and she had 2 pups ... sadly, they were like something out of a horror movie with spinal and anal deformities and had to be put down. She also of course desexed her dog.

• Sad 1