What is a "Fair" Price for a Puppy?

23 minutes ago, asal said:

was only 8 weeks old and already been desexed male so will not grow normally as it should as it will never experience puberty google explains how high the vet problems that occur with puppies done too young.

Early desexing is a problem in some breeds but not others.   Here's a recent mega study that crunched the numbers

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fvets.2020.00388/full&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiZhef0rNv2AhVw4XMBHTITC-AQFnoECAMQAg&usg=AOvVaw11bejoqYTUbpOeLmWySNYu

21 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

thanks, so good news for the cavalier component in the pup and 9% joint issues in early done poodles.  be interesting to know which breed contributed the merle gene to her pup. As for the $7,000 price tag.  shows x breeds are fetching way more than most purebreds poodle puppies are listed here at "Boys $3,500.00 and girls $3,900.00" and cavalier at "The cost of the puppies is $4000"  "

$4500 - limited register (pet only)" very few actually give a price.  But others I have met paid $5,000 for their pet, so it seems obvious puppy farmed x breds are commanding better prices.  Met a lady at our local vet and she had paid $7,000 and 8,000 for her two cavoodles and they were the usual colours expected of the x

On 17/03/2022 at 6:35 PM, JRG said:

FCR 4.   If you are not happy with the responses then I suggest that you go out and get yourself some well bred brood bitches and have a go yourself. 

So because I'm dissatisfied with irrelevant posts, your response is yet another further irrelevant post??

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Psycho-Magnet said:

Who said anything about quibbling?
I'm asking "what is a FAIR price" that's pretty much the exact opposite of quibbling.

As far as I have seen, you have NOT quibbled ... just asked about what would be "fair"

Someone did comment that you might as well ask how long is a piece of string - and while I may agree with the intent of the comment, to me, saying it in that way is just insulting 

What I would say to you is that demand for anything - whether its a car, or a dog, will drive prices up as you already undoubtedly know .... sometimes unfairly so! "Covid puppies" are a prime example. Inflation has certainly hit the cost of just purchasing a dog! Look to the breed associations - they will be your best guide, I think. :)

Perhaps if you were more specific with mentioning a breed in mind? 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

“Fair price” is incalculable for puppies because they don’t come off a production line.

Some years ago, I knew two breeders who bred two litters each from related bitches. One breeder’s bitches had 12 or 13 puppies each.

The other breeder’s bitches both required emergency caesareans. One required an emergency hysterectomy. The other bitch developed health problems perinatally and required daily medication for the rest of her life. Only one puppy survived from the two litters.

The first breeder could have sold the puppies for $500 each and still covered her costs. The second breeder would not have covered her costs even if she’d sold that one puppy for $10000. And there is no fair price for her dogs’ pain and distress or her grief.

Although there is no such thing as a fair price, there is what I might have to pay to get the puppy I want in 2022. That seems to be between $3000 and $5000. Would I pay that much for the right puppy?. If I can afford it and want that puppy, yes. On the other hand, I see a lot of puppies advertised for more than that which I wouldn’t accept even as a gift. Many are walking vet-bills-in-waiting or have had been bred only for profit. Price is no indication of health, temperament, quality or suitability as a pet.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 23/03/2022 at 2:06 PM, sandgrubber said:

Fantastic info .... thank you for that!

I saw an interesting comment by a dog groomer about Cavs being desexed too early and it affecting their coats? :confused: Have you ever come across this? I know it's not a serious health issue, but it got my interest 

On 24/03/2022 at 2:40 PM, Psycho-Magnet said:

Who said anything about quibbling?
I'm asking "what is a FAIR price" that's pretty much the exact opposite of quibbling.

You've been given plenty of answers, including that "fair price" is not standardised across breeds/breeders etc. but you just didn't like the answer (or it's not what you want to hear).

No one can tell you what's 100% fair because as I already stated (as have numerous others), it's not a "one price fits all" scenario.  There are some breeds that only produce 1-3 puppies per litter, so would it be a "fair price" for a litter of say 2 puppies be priced at $20k each ($40k "profit") in order to keep up with breeds whose litters average 10 puppies, which can be sold for $4000 each (also $40k profit)?

I'm fairly certain the general public wouldn't perceive a $20k asking price as "fair" (although you do need to excuse the few idiots who pay that much plus more for "rare Frenchies"), but a breeder of small litter breeds might consider it fair because why should they not make the same kind of profit as other breeders do?

• Like 1

A fair price is whatever someone is willing to pay.

It isn’t like a production line in a factory where every component has an item price so an exact cost to manufacture plus markup percentage can be calculated. 
We’re talking about a living thing.

There are so many factors involved; timing, location, breed, pedigree, expenses etc.

If an individual doesn’t think the price being asked is “fair” then they are welcome to walk away and keep looking.  There will always be another individual who is happy with what is being offered for the price!

• Like 5