New political party in the process of being formed.

asal

They are still deciding on a name apparently as was planned to be Companion Animal Party, but apprently animal justice party owns the word animal so they cant use it. 

interesting times.

Was sent a copy of this. apparently it can be shared but only as a copy and paste which is how I came by this.

think the closing date to fight the new bill has already passed as have so many opportunities to save our pets.   Interesting times ahead. if the bill goes though peta believe it can be amended in future without going to the vote and their vision of extinction is soon to be realised.

Hi Everyone, CAP is making a submission regarding the NSW Companion Animals Amendment Bill proposed by Emma Hurst of the Animal Justice Party.
Our submission is listed below.
YOU CAN SUPPORT THIS EFFORT BY DOING THE FOLLOWING:-
  1. Copy the submission
  2. Email this to the following 4 email addresses
These addresses belong to the Minister for Agriculture, Premier, Opposition Leader and Shadow Minister for Agriculture.

This submission is made for and on behalf of the Companion And Pets Party in response to the proposed bill Companion Animals Amendment (Puppy Farms) Bill 2021 as introduced by the Hon. Emma Hurst, MLC.
OUR FREEDOM - OUR RIGHT
Executive Summary
The community has a fundamental right to the ownership of animals, and the freedoms that our nation provides allows the quiet enjoyment of these animals.
No government in Australia has EVER been granted a mandate by the electorate to revoke that freedom or that right.
That right and that freedom are fundamental rights that citizens of Australia believe are naturally theirs.
This Bill seeks to greatly diminish the rights of people to own animals, and the rights people have to quiet enjoyment of their animals.
THE COMPANIONS AND PETS PARTY (CAP) WILL VIGOROUSLY DEFEND THE RIGHTS OF THE PEOPLE OF NSW AND AUSTRALIA TO OWN ANIMALS, AND ENJOY WHATEVER LEGAL PURSUITS THEY UNDERTAKE WITH THEIR ANIMALS.
CAP calls on the NSW Government to immediately abandon this bill.
HISTORY OF FREEDOM AND RIGHTS
Whilst Australia does not have a Bill of Rights, the USA does, and an analogy can be drawn from this bill as to the fundamental rights that Australian citizens would believe naturally belong to them.
The American Civil Liberties Union makes a detailed commentary on the history of the Bill of Rights as it relates to the U.S.A.
It outlines the following:-
The nation's founders believed that containing the government's power and protecting liberty was their most important task, and declared a new purpose for government: the protection of individual rights.
It goes on to detail the separate meaning of Democracy and Liberty (Freedom).
Democracy means that people ought to be able to vote for public officials in fair elections, and make most political decisions by majority rule.
Liberty, on the other hand, means that even in a democracy, individuals have rights that no majority should be able to take away.
These rights are defined as “"unalienable rights" and are also called "natural" rights, and one writer stated they were "the great rights of mankind."
One of these rights is listed as :-
  • Privacy
    • The right to be free of unwarranted and unwanted government intrusion into one's personal and private affairs, papers, and possessions.
The community has a fundamental right to own animals, and as such they become possessions. This is the very issue at stake here in this Bill. With the privilege of owning an animal also comes the serious responsibility for the welfare and care of the animal.
A responsibility this party will help ensure every owner complies with.
THE PROMOTORS OF THE BILL
The bill is introduced by the Hon. Emma Hurst of the Animal Justice Party.
This party is inextricably linked with Animals Australia, providing links to Animal Australia’s site from its own website. PETA is linked to both these organisations through its policies and philosophies which are so aligned in many ways.
These organisations have a goal of ending animal ownership of all types.
Evidence of this is drawn from documents produced by these organisations, and those who run them.
The Animal Justice Party, amongst other things have stated “to phase out the sale of companion animals, including birds, reptiles and fish….”
and “…to phase out the breeding of companion animals…”
Another comment by an AJP candidate “…how about we stop breeding of all sorts there’s no such thing as a good breeder……”
Comments from Peta include “…pet ownership is an abysmal situation..”
and, “...In the end, I think it would be lovely if we stopped this whole notion of pets altogether”.
and, “...the cat, like the dog, must disappear…”
There are volumes of reports about Peta in the USA, and in the other countries where Peta is represented (which includes Australia,) regarding behaviour, comments and actions, that any decent person would find reprehensible.
These statement and beliefs strike at the very freedom and rights of Australians to be able to enjoy their companions and pets free of interference from those seeking to impose their will on others.
There are numerous other reports surrounding this organisation that can be made available, or can be sourced via a simple search of internet.
THE BILL
This bill contains so many areas that seek to remove our freedoms and rights.
This party does not intend to outline every weakness in this Bill, nor does it intend to try to amend this bill in any way.
This Bill has no place in our society, and The Companions And Pets Party (CAP) opposes its introduction.
CAP calls on the State Government to withdraw this Bill which denies Australians their right to the ownership of companion animals and pets.

Found the Facebook group... have joined... now to wait and see if they are something I want to be a part of.

I'm so sick of Emma Hurst and AJP sneaking bills through with little resistance until after the fact... grrr! There needs to be a dissenting voice of reason in such matters.

T.

I wouldn’t support them personally. I’d prefer a party that actually refers to detail of the Bill and what it specially opposes, instead of making sweeping links and claims to international and US based organisations. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ~Anne~ said:

I wouldn’t support them personally. I’d prefer a party that actually refers to detail of the Bill and what it specially opposes, instead of making sweeping links and claims to international and US based organisations. 

The party is in it's infancy right now... but with the right people in place...

I just made my first post in their Facebook group... and I think they are all loving me big time... lol! Someone even went so far as to call me "knowledgeable" and thinks I should be on the front line of communications... hehe!

Seeing as my active animal caring job days may be severely numbered, I've been looking for something that I could sink my teeth into whilst still remaining connected to the animal industry in a meaningful way... fingers crossed they can live up to the expectation...

T.

Edited by tdierikx
  • Like 2

Read the Bill first would be my advice. You’re usually a very pragmatic thinker so I think you’d do good in this kind of arena. The basics should be a detailed understanding of what the Bill is and it’s real impact, and how a Bill progresses through Parliament. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moosmum said:

Only on face book? I don't do that, but I'd also like to look at this more....

At this point it's just a Facebook group page... hopefully there will be a formal website and more details soon...

T.

• Thanks 1

For anyone interested... this is what I posted to the CAP group...

"I am a qualified zookeeper and vet nurse. I would be interested in being an active part of any politcal movement that may be able to add a voice of reason against the AJP's anthropomorphic and vegan-oriented legislation efforts - especially in NSW (I live in Sydney).

I am a strong proponent of animal welfare aims... where the goal is to make the partnership between humans and animals stronger and better for all involved. I am not vegan or even vegitarian, but support humane treatment of the animals we eat.
I am not a huge fan of the RSPCA (understatement), and would like to see legislation introduced to add checks and balances where their investigations/prosecutions are concerned. AJP only seem to be making things easier for RSPCA to intimidate animal owners with impugnity - not to mention that higher financial penalties make RSPCA much more money when they receive a moeity of all fines imposed after a prosecution.
I am not a huge fan of hunting animals for sport, but if done humanely, and the animal is used for food after the fact, I can live with that.
I am dead against the use of 1080 baits and calicivirus drops using a version of the virus that domestic rabbits cannot be vaccinated against effectively. I'm also averse to myxomatosis drops. I have seen domestic rabbits suffer from both diseases, and they get it MUCH worse than their wild counterparts. I have seen the aftermath of 1080 on dingoes, and it makes your heart weep at the suffering it causes.
I believe that many of our larger Australian zoos have leaned way too far towards placating the vegan brigade - too much space dedicated to "the message", and not enough space for the actual animals housed... Taronga zoo's tiger exhibits are a prime example - so much more space could have been given to the actual animal enclosures.
As a zookeeper, and someone who has worked closely with all manner of animal species, I can say that the "hands off" approach that we have to follow is actually making safe handling of many of the smaller species more stressful and even dangerous - for both people AND the animals. Having to anaesthetise an animal for every little procedure is not the best way to go about things.
I used to work for a large mobile petting zoo business in Sydney, and my job was to maintain the health and welfare of all of the animals we had. Keeping informed of ever-changing welfare standards was a big part of my job, as was working out how those standards related to POCTAA, and the Exhibted Animals Act... all of our animals were VERY well cared for, and only those that actually enjoyed the levels of human contact were used. Those that weren't so fussed were rehomed to pet homes - even the cows...
So, in closing, I believe that I may have something to offer at grass roots level if needed..."

Whatcha think?

T.
  • Like 1

On 03/03/2022 at 3:01 PM, asal said:

They are still deciding on a name .... 

So - early days yet @asal, we can only hope.

@tdierikxgood work - be careful of open lines, you don't know who is a member of what as far as readership here goes.  Fine line between transparency and playing your cards close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

ooo wow they have decided on a name and now are taking membership applications, wonder if they can muster enough candidates for the comming election in time?   considering how many have pets AND if all voted be looking at forming a government.   ok dream on BUT!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1880909738963642

ah. bummer.  two months wait to be recognised. thats too late this this election isnt it?

"We need everyone to visit the website www.companionsandpetsparty.com.au and join the party. It is free to join. We need every member of the facebook group to join up. Without your support by joining the party, we cannot become registered. It takes about two months from the time we submit our application to become registered. So please fill out the application form as soon as you can. Thank you."

Edited by asal
  • Thanks 2

On 06/03/2022 at 10:47 PM, PossumCorner said:

So - early days yet @asal, we can only hope.

@tdierikxgood work - be careful of open lines, you don't know who is a member of what as far as readership here goes.  Fine line between transparency and playing your cards close.

good point, wonder if peta will join up and take over like they did the rspca?  well remember in 2000 reading a letter received by an rspca member begging her to join up all her friends and family for the pending agm as the writer was aware that sufficen peta members were already on the board and the comming agm was being stacked by peta members to elect the remaining numbers to take control of the board.   that was now 22 years ago. peta have been working on their agenda from the 1980's while pet owners have been asleep at the wheel

• Sad 1

You’d have to be crazy to support an anonymous group running a political party in my opinion. :noidea:

Who is behind it? Who would you be supporting? When they say ‘your right to breed’ are they meaning the rights of anyone who wants to breed including Joe Bloggs up the road who thinks his little fluffy will make a good match for the Kelpie cross next door?

It’s a registered company, limited by shares, which is based in Langwarrin Vic. Who are the Directors who own those shares? Can’t see much else about it at this point.

Edited by ~Anne~
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, asal said:

good point, wonder if peta will join up and take over like they did the rspca?  well remember in 2000 reading a letter received by an rspca member begging her to join up all her friends and family for the pending agm as the writer was aware that sufficen peta members were already on the board and the comming agm was being stacked by peta members to elect the remaining numbers to take control of the board.   that was now 22 years ago. peta have been working on their agenda from the 1980's while pet owners have been asleep at the wheel

Not sure PETA would pay much attention to them at this point. The group or company appears to lack any real substance. But then more absurd things have happened in the political arena in recent years so nothing should surprise me anymore. :laugh:

• Like 1

Another question comes to mind - it is not clarified anywhere on their website, that I can see, if they’re intending on registering at the Federal or State level. It’s way, way too late to be considered for the upcoming Fed election - that ship has long sailed. 

If they’re looking at State, then it’s pointless for anyone outside Victoria to support them if that’s the case. They’re registered as a company in Vic. They can’t run for NSW. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ~Anne~ said:

Another question comes to mind - it is not clarified anywhere on their website, that I can see, if they’re intending on registering at the Federal or State level. It’s way, way too late to be considered for the upcoming Fed election - that ship has long sailed. 

If they’re looking at State, then it’s pointless for anyone outside Victoria to support them if that’s the case. They’re registered as a company in Vic. They can’t run for NSW. 

So far it looks like they are only looking at the Victorian State election that is coming up soonish.

I kinda got a bit put off by the fact that when I sent a message to one of the party founders to ask a question very early in the formation of this party, I am still waiting for any response whatsoever - 4 weeks later. I have also tried to post a couple of topic starters which have been quashed by the admins without any reason or response. I'm not about to join a party that doesn't seem to want my input or discourse, even if it's free to join at this stage of things.

Right now, I'm not as enthusiastic about this party as I was at the outset... the more time passes, the less is becoming apparent as to their actual agenda, ability to follow through, and who the heck is running things.

I've joined Animal Care Australia, a seasoned lobby group that definitely more aligns with my stance. They don't run for public office, just stay abreast of upcoming animal related legislation and make sure to make sensible submissions on said legislation, including attendance at all inquiries and committee hearings regarding animal legislation. Much more effective methinks...

T.

• Like 3