Skin problems

Yummy

2 hours ago, Yummy said:

Hi All, does anyone have any remedies for skin problems with American Staffys?

the remedy will be different, depending on the cause of the skin problem :) A diagnosis needs to come first . 
"Skin problems" could be hormonal, allergic reactions, parasitic problems, bacterial or fungal infections....  all with a different way of being treated. 
Asking a vet would be the best course of action , I think. 

• Like 1

A vet visit is needed, definitely.

Sometimes you can get an inside idea of what it might be depending on where the skin issue is. If it’s:

* face and muzzle - demodectic mange

* abdomen or feet - contact allergy

* on the back near the tail - flea allergy

* general body and hot spots - food allergy 

The above is a guide only based on my experience after running a rescue. It’s not a full list and it shouldn’t replace professional advice. 

• Like 1

As Rebanne and Perse say... go and see your vet first to find out what is causing the skin problems, don't just presume it is a food allergy and don't be talked into doing allergy tests either as it can be caused from pollen in the air to general dust round the home or a reaction to cereal products in kibble.

Your vet will put you on the right track then you can tackle the on-going care.

Soothing ointment on the dog's back may help until your vet visit, I have used both Calendula and chickweed ointment with some success as well as a soothing cortisone cream (I had a tube in the fridge) or something like Soove.

Your vet will probably start your dog on Apoquil as well as a course of antibiotics.

From B-who-has-a-wee-white-dug-from-Qld-Westie-Rescue

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rebanne said:

Has the dog seen a vet? I've got an itchy dog and I use several strategies to manage her, including meds from the vet.

He has seen the vet and was given some antibiotics which did help slightly but is not getting any better. He has patches of skin irritations at the back of his neck and over his back. They are not bothering him,  just looks unsightly and sore. Sounds like back to the Vet.  Thanks.

• Like 3