Can't find dog breeder of dog bought from a previous owner that was not the breeder

Yrie

Is there any way to find a breeder by just the microchip number on the dog? We called the council but they said for private reasons they could not tell us the name on the microchip. 

For background to this issue - my sister found an ad for a pomshi (pomeranian x shiba inu) on Gumtree for 3.5K. She gets in contact with this person and we organize a meet up but at the previous owner's sister in law's house - we cannot find the house because she gave us the wrong address. The sister in law of the previous owner comes to our house instead and sells us the dog - only dropping off a vaccination card which says he's a German spitz. It turns out that the previous owner lied about the breed of the dog - but we bought him anyways. However, my questions about ownership transfer to the previous owner's number are brushed aside. Then she informs me that the breeder had sent her ownership of the wrong dog because the microchip information on the form was incorrect so she could not transfer the ownership. I ask her about what she had done to rectify this - and she has essentially done nothing. I also ask her who the breeder was so I could contact them about the issue - but this question goes ignored. I am also unaware of the name of the previous owner as she never gave the name to my sister. Just as a note - it's the responsibility of the previous owner under NSW law to transfer dog ownership. We have attempted to initiate dog transfer on our own but since we have no clue who the previous owner is/who the breeder is - I have no clue what to put on the ownership papers. 

Any help would be very much appreciated ;;;

@Yrie I’d be really careful because the entire scenario surrounding this puppy sale has red flags all over it. I’m worried you’ve potentially purchased a stolen dog. 

The best thing to do is take the dog to your vet for a microchip check because if the dog has been flagged lost/stolen, the vet will be able to see this on their NSW Pet Registry access. 

If everything is fine and the dog isn’t flagged as missing, I’d ask the vet to complete the Verification of Existing Microchip (M1) Form for you: https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Verification-of-Existing-Microchip-M1-Form.pdf

You can then fill out the Change of Owner Details (C3A) Form and take it all to your local council with a completed Commonweath Stat Dec declaring you are now the dog’s owner and that you are unable to contact the current registered owner for them to sign the transfer over. https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Change-of-Owner-Details-C3A-Form.pdf

German Spitz are rare in Australia too so if the dog came from an ANKC registered breeder, they should be able to track down. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As above. You should also ensure you provide copies of anything showing the sale to you. This might include a receipt and or text or email exchanges. 

It is often wrongly assumed a microchip determines ownership of a dog or cat. It is one of many things taken into account but it is not the only evidence considered. 

Hopefully the dog isn’t stolen and it’s previous owners are just irresponsible. Perhaps they never bothered ensuring it was chipped and transferred to them when they acquired the dog initially. 

The breed doesn’t really matter. A cross breed is a cross breed. If it was important I’d assume you would have purchased a pedigreed dog in the first place. Just out of interest, when I was a vet nurse I saw all manner of breeds claimed on vacc certs. I would take the certificate breed claim with a grain of salt. 

Edited by ~Anne~
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the advice - it is very much appreciated ;;

We've been to the vet a few times and the dog is not stolen thankfully. And I don't think the previous owner is lying about the dogs getting mixed up because the microchip number they did give us was very similar to his actual microchip number - just off by 3 numbers at the end. 

Also he is definitely a German spitz (checked his microchip number on the NSW registry) we don't really mind that he wasn't the breed that was advertised - as it's our bad for not doing more research. I'm going to attempt to contact German spitz breeder and try to track his breeder down. I also wanted to find out who the breeder was so I know what his conditions were before he got to the previous owner. 

I've called the local council about the issue - and they've suggested doing a statutory declaration, so I'll try that out. 

• Like 4

For background to this issue - my sister found an ad for a pomshi (pomeranian x shiba inu) on Gumtree for 3.5K

Because I have to, as a long term shiba owner. You can get a pure bred Shiba Inu for that or less the price of a mutt. Yes, a "pomshi" is a mutt/crossbreed in every way, the fancy name does not change that. It's a stupid cross too, sure, both are spitz breeds, but the coat will be all over the place in length and shedding but the barking. The yapping! Why would anyone cross a breed known for barking with a breed known for screaming, yodeling hell?  I shudder to think what screaming yapping mess might come out of this mix. 

Shibas come in long hair, it's a fault, but it will give someone the extra plushy look that SOME "pomshi" might have and at least they will know what thay have bought. Just saying.... 

Yes, I know the dog in the original post is apparently a German Spitz. This is just a cautionary tale for anyone else who is stupid enough to believe there is such thing as a "pomshi"

Edited by cannibalgoldfish
  • Like 7