Amstaff Adult Food

I have a 8 month old Amstaff that is currently on Royal Canin Medium Puppy and my financial situation has changed quite a bit and I was looking for a cheaper alternative to Royal Canin for when he is 12 months that I can transition him to? I really cannot afford to pay $120 for 15kg its just not possible.

Personally I have never believed you must pay over $100 for a small bag of food. Nothing wrong with supermarket dry food like Supercoat. Add in some raw chicken necks, eggs, sardines, safe table scraps etc and you can feed your dog like a king for half the price.

• Like 2

On 29/03/2022 at 1:58 PM, Rebanne said:

Personally I have never believed you must pay over $100 for a small bag of food. Nothing wrong with supermarket dry food like Supercoat. Add in some raw chicken necks, eggs, sardines, safe table scraps etc and you can feed your dog like a king for half the price.

I heartily agree with this :) Butchers & supermarkets often sell  raw meaty bones/offcuts  which are good value , too. 

• Like 1

Here’s my take on things my dogs can not thrive on supercoat and I would feed more off it .

I would end up with vet bills more expensive than the food .

Am staffs can be skin issue prone so keep that mind if dog is doing well .

What I would maybe consider is feeding less dry and add more things to make the bag last longer depending on how much you feed now .

I did feed RC but don’t anymore due to constant supply issues ( I get breeders price) .

I feed

What stores do you have near you .

Maybe doing a looky  at what’s around ,bag size and ingredients is a good start now and work out your projected costs .

Some feed the Costco range with success .

• Like 1

I have been feeding my guys Supercoat True Origin as well as their usual bit of raw & they have never looked better.  For a supermarket food it is not cheap.  It comes in Chicken/Duck & also Salmon/Ocean Fish.  $39 for 7 kilo but I nearly always buy it when it is on special & stock up.  I like that the bags are smaller & therefore fresher.

• Like 1