Lip fold dermatitis Older dog

NMS

My cocker spaniel is 14 He has had recurrent lip fold dermatitis and has had two lots of antibiotics I have also used antiseptic wash as prescribed No other avenues have been explored and my vet =wants to operate and cut away the skin fold Albert has a heart nurmur The idea of surgery terrifies me Has anyone had similar experiences with this problem on an older dog?

Edited by Troy

1 hour ago, NMS said:

My cocker spaniel is 14 He has had recurrent lip fold dermatitis and has had two lots of antibiotics I have also used antiseptic wash as prescribed No other avenues have been explored and my vet =wants to operate and cut away the skin fold Albert has a heart nurmur The idea of surgery terrifies me Has anyone had similar experiences with this problem on an older dog?

Are you keeping it scrupulously clean and dry? Have you gone the cortisone ointment route too? Manuka put out a great cream for problem areas like this ... think it's called Manuka Doggie Balm. At any rate, I would be very reluctant to put a 14 year old dog under an anesthetic if I had not tried everything else first.

Good luck! I hope you can find an answer that works for your dog and you.

• Like 1

Are you feeding him from a metal bowl by any chance? Try switching to a ceramic bowl and see if that slows down the recurrence of the dermatitis... wash the bowl with soapy water after each use too...

T.

• Like 1

On 31/3/22 at 1:28 PM, OzzieLioness said:

Are you keeping it scrupulously clean and dry? Have you gone the cortisone ointment route too? Manuka put out a great cream for problem areas like this ... think it's called Manuka Doggie Balm. At any rate, I would be very reluctant to put a 14 year old dog under an anesthetic if I had not tried everything else first.

Good luck! I hope you can find an answer that works for your dog and you.

Hi I ordered this balm and will be vigilant about drying the area 

• Like 2

Keeping the area clipped short is important ,the hair traps the moisture & crap in plus at that age they often dribble more so the moisture is always there .
Surgery is no guarantee anyway so i wouldnt be putting an old dog through it 
Did the vet suggest the Chlorhexidine wipes ?? Douxo is commonly suggested & you can buy on amazon or from the vet 

• Like 3