Select Committe on Puppy Farming in NSW hearing today April 7

tdierikx

For anyone who is interested, the Select Committee on Puppy Farming in NSW has the first hearing of stakeholder submissions today...

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/committees/listofcommittees/Pages/committee-details.aspx?pk=276#tab-hearingsandtranscripts

You can watch it live by clicking on the Live Committees link at the top middle of the page... it starts at 9:30am...

T.

• Thanks 1

Well... that was interesting... saw a familiar name, that I now have a face for... *grin*... well done to that person by the way...

I have taken quite a few notes... 3 pages of them...

I have joined one of the groups that are involved in submissions and consultation for all of the animal legislation processes also. Looking forward to hopefully being able to assist in any way I can there.

T.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Little Gifts said:

I hope this leads to something positive for all the breeding dogs and their pups! And for customers getting ripped off believing they are buying some expensive fancy breed.

Doesn't look like the proposed new legislation is addressing those sorts of issues... going by how often it was brought up in all the submissions today. Even RSPCA and AWL brought it up as seriously needing some way of monitoring/policing in order to get best outcomes for the animals used for that purpose. The issue of the worst offenders being completely under the radar and hard to find/trace was a key point too. Nearly ALL submissions referred to more legislation - especially that which is virtually a carbon copy of Victoria's legislation - having the effect of crippling those who are easily identified as breeders (read members of the various breeding bodies), and doing little to actually stop the larger scale commercial breeders... *sigh*

All submissions also raised the point that the worst offenders aren't actually registered breeders - commercial or otherwise - but the smaller unregistered backyard operations pumping out pups (and/or kittens) for profit... which STILL won't be stopped by the proposed legislation.

T.

• Like 1

Good review T and on point. 

Changes to legislation, and any newly introduced legislation, will have consequences. It also adds to, not alleviates, red tape in many instances. 

Be careful what you wish for.

Any change needs to be thoroughly considered. I’ve not seen much over the last 20 years that achieves the aims everyone wants. 

• Thanks 1