Getting a puppy for the first time ever, and have a few questions!

Meteor

I intend to get a pom puppy. The puppy is only 6 weeks old, and I have to wait 2 more weeks to bring him home.

I live on the Gold Coast, and the breeder is in Sunny coast. I am meeting with the breeder on Sunday. Basically, I wonder what the must ask questions are, and what pitfals I should be wary of?

Of the top of my head:

• how many bodies I should register the puppy with? City Council, AKNC, DOGS QLD etc.?
  • Do puppy adopters/buyers usually sign a contract? Should I insist on having one signed?
  • Should the microchip transfer papers  be signed upon collecting the puppy?

Thank you!
Lettie
Edited by Meteor
  • Like 2

Yes to registration with the council and DogsQld which is a part of the ANKC.

Not all breeders have contracts, it's not a strike against them but ask now so there are no surprises at pick up time. 

Microchip papers may not be back by pickup but they should be signed and sent on asap.

ETA, breeder registers with DogsQld. Again papers may not be back at pickup. There should be copies of DNA tests available for you to have a copy of. Ask for a feeding guide as to what puppy has been fed.

Congratulations and welcome to the dog world

Edited by Rebanne
  • Like 3

Thank you Rebanne,

Where should I be checking if the puppy is actually micro-chipped? Is there a website to look up the microchip number?

Also, other than making sure that the breeder has a supply/BIN number, is there any thing else I should be checking about the breeder?

Edited by Meteor

If the papers aren't back then you can't check but you should take the pup to the vet within 48 hours for a wellness check and they can scan the puppy. If you want an ANKC registered dog then you can ask to see their membership card. Ask if it will be on main or limited. As excited as you are, if you are not happy with the breeders answer's or don't like what you see, then walk away. 

Actually, just thought, you should get a vaccination card and often a microchip sticker is on that. Not always, sometimes it's handwritten.

And there is a puppy tax to be paid here :laugh: Photo's are required please!

• Like 3

I take it that are meeting the breeder at their property?  If so, have a good look round at the actual place the pup is living in,  look at their adult digs (not just the puppies) and when I say look, I mean LOOK.  Ask yourself “are these dogs what I want in my life”?. because your baby will only be a baby for a few months and you will be living with the adult for years!

i breed dogs myself and am amazed at the number of people who are so magnetised by the pups that they do not give the adults a second glance and please read the paperwork, don’t just sign with one eye on your new baby.

Have a wonderful visit and enjoy your new baby.

All pics gratefully received - a new Pom , how exciting.

• Like 3

Basically it depends if its a registered breeder or a breeder with a bin number .
It depends whether they health test or not .This again comes down to what kind of breeder they are,what org they may/may not belong too 
Ideally during the conversations you should have already had these questions should have been asked before heading to the meet n greet stage .

Contracts most breeders have one what it covers is personal .

Any dog needs to be council registered the rest is based on your intentions ,Ie you dont have to be dogsQLD registered if its just a pet 

but again if your breeder is savvy they will answer all these questions.

• Like 1