Major Study on Longevity: UK dogs

sandgrubber

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-10341-6#Fig2

This used very large sample to get longevity and construct life tables for different breeds.  Also gives info by sex, and by neutered or entire.

Gundogs and terriers neck and neck in lifetables.  Females outlive males. Neutered outlive entire.  Brachy breeds don't do well.

Edited by sandgrubber

Interesting, although I’m sure it backs up the anecdotal evidence we all carry in our minds regarding terriers, brachys and other breeds. 

I was surprised though at how poorly the Frenchie did overall in comparison to the Pug. 

Thanks for sharing. 

2 hours ago, ~Anne~ said:

Interesting, although I’m sure it backs up the anecdotal evidence we all carry in our minds regarding terriers, brachys and other breeds. 

I was surprised though at how poorly the Frenchie did overall in comparison to the Pug. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Yes, it's consistent with anecdotal.   Where I appreciate this is that anecdotes often forget the dogs that die young.  Lifetables show this factor.

For me one surprise was that Yorkies come out so well.   They seem like a good option for people who are downsizing and don't want the feistiness of a JRT or the various problems with many toy breeds.

Another surprise was that the "small dogs live longer" rule doesn't hold very well.  BCs, Labbies, and the ESS have better life expectancies than most toy breeds (also better than mixed breed, though it's alwayshard to know what mix that means).

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 1