Whippet puppy with demodectic mange

Hi all! Our 4 month old whippet puppy has 2 small spots of flaky hair loss (one on face, one on leg) and was told it is demodectic mange. I was wondering if this is “normal” in puppies? I was reading it could be a sign of a genetically defective immune system, but if it happens in such a young puppy, then their immune systems are not fully developed yet. I was also reading that it is a criteria for no further breeding, is this also true if it happens when the dog is so young (and say does not occur after puppy age)? I am finding very different info on the internet - some say it’s not a big deal and just resolves on its own, some say it’s due to a genetic defect… any input or information is greatly appreciated!! 

Often pops up in stress. I has a GSD that got a couple of spots after being boarded in kennels at 11 months of age. My understanding is it lives on the skin in low numbers unless stressed. Sometimes occurs in bitches after whelping - huge stress. I treated my bitch and never had it develop again.

I'd treat it and forget. Unless it continues to occur then I would investigate further.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Demodectic mange definitely has an hereditary link in chronic/severe cases.

The mite, as stated above, lives on all dogs and the immune system normally deals with them and keeps them under control. In dogs with compromised immune systems, the mites run riot. 

To ensure that is what you’re dealing with, you need a skin scraping done at the vet. The drug of choice to deal with mites is ivermectin, but it’s use is regulated because it’s toxic. 

If you do a search in this forum for demodex or demodectic mange, you’ll find oodles of info and discussion. I once took in a rescue who had almost no hair left on her body and was one massive skin infection, due to demodex.

As an added thought - how do you know it’s demodectic? There are two mange mites - demodectic and sarcoptic. If you live in an area where there might be foxes, wombats or if your dog has come into contact with other dogs, it could be sarcoptic mange which is highly contagious. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...