2022 Blackhawk new formula

Hi

any one here feed blackhawk to there dogs? the recent formula change has made the food have a really strong smell, to the point our pup now walks over sniffs the food and walks away, he will eat it eventually but can only eat it in small amounts and appears to give him gas, naturally going to change him over to something else, but was just wondering if anyone else has noticed the change? or if potentially we have a bad bag of food?

any suggestions on alternatives? our previous dog we feed purina pro plan, until we had to switch him over to low fat id hills science diet after a issue with pancreatitis, so was considering that (purina pro plan).

thanks

I too would be interested to hear another's experiences with the new blend.

I have ordered some and also have ordered some Advance as a backup plan. Mine have always preferred the Black Hawk to the Advance, but will eat either.

I used to feed Blackhawk before they changed ownership a long time ago.  With all this wet weather I have gone to smaller bags so it stays fresher & for the last 6 months I have been feeding Supercoat True Origin.  It is in 7 kg bags & comes in a fish and also a chicken. You can buy smaller bags to try first. Available in the supermarkets & expensive for a supermarket brand, but my two border collies are doing well on it & gobble it down

I was using Canidae kibble but keeping some Black Hawk tinned on hand. All of a sudden I can't buy Canidae so have gone back to Black Hawk kibble this time around. Waiting for it to arrive so will let you know what I think. We stopped buying it because the quality seemed to be waning (we found some weird stuff inside the bag once too).

The pet store was really good about it, refunded the bag after showed them the Emails from black hawk, picked up a small bag of mfm he likes it but his stomach isn't adjusting at all to it, feed him chicken, veg and rice for a week, stomach started to get back on track, introduced a quarter of a feed of the mfm and his stools have gone back to slop, will call the vet about it but they will just push hill science diet range

Tried to find his old food around all the local pet food places but only new stock. So annoying they just switched formula.

If you like Purina Pro Plan I’d give it a go, see if your current dog does well on it. It meets WSAVA criteria. As do Hills and Royal Canin, which is why vets recommend these brands.

WSAVA nutrition guidelines and Tufts veterinary nutrition websites have lots of info.

I hope your dog’s tummy feels better soon.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

• 2 weeks later...

yeah since moving over to the mfm he has been fine, the kibble is larger so needs to chew it ,so he isnt a fan of that all the time, but stomach wise all back to normal

2 hours ago, auir said:

yeah since moving over to the mfm he has been fine, the kibble is larger so needs to chew it ,so he isnt a fan of that all the time, but stomach wise all back to normal

Are his teeth ok? Might be worthwhile getting them checked? Glad to hear his stomach is feeling better!

Yeah the vet checks them each time he is in, nothing looks to be a issue, I think he just used to chewing a few times but then being able to just swallow the old kibble, whereas these mfm ones are quite large so needs to bit each one to break it down in size a bit

• Like 1