Prefix ideas

madzo

I’ve finally decided to apply for my breeders prefix. I have been lucky enough to have a wonderful breeding/show bitch purchased from a very reputable breeder who has been so supportive.
But I need to apply for my prefix and I have very little idea! 
She’s a Hungarian Vizsla so I will be breeding them in the future.

I like the idea of names relating to the country of origin, but I’m finishing Hungarian difficult to come up with a catchy/nice sounding name.

We live on a one acre block in central NSW Australia. Quite hilly country, gets cold in winter.

I currently have 2 ideas

1) Loneacre

2) Ventura (means fortune in Italian (I am of Italian origin)) 

would love more creative ideas please!! 

not sure what 'sound' you are looking for, but a couple of words in Hungarian

Huseges (means  'faithful' or 'loyal')

Mutato (means 'pointer')

Piros   (means 'red')

Jokepu   (means 'handsome')

You need a word IMO that is easy to pronounce. Also you may change breeds. My prefix that was used for my Greyhounds is actually made up of parts of the names of 3 German Shepherds! That was the breed I thought I would end up breeding. When the time came to register a prefix I thought of all sorts of names to do with greyhounds and yet I kept coming back to my original, put it first and got it.

Good luck, I'm not very creative so not much help with a name

I agree with Rebanne, go for something pronounceable - short is also good because as well as avoiding the prefixes of every other breeder, you need to remember that the maximum field available when registering pups is 32 spaces, so if you have a long prefix you restrict the spaces available to you for pup names.

• Like 1

My prefix which I got when I was breeding German Shorthaired pointers, was made up from my two first GSP's  Flynn & Tahnee i.e. Flyntahn. I know of quite a few people who have got their prefix this way.

Edited by Flyntahn
Spelling

• 4 weeks later...

Also remember the letter limit for registered names.

Mine, Ellz, is a bastardisation of the word Elle (in French means she or her).  When I registered my prefix I was registering a new prefix having relinquished a joint prefix with my ex-husband.

“L” is also my first initial so “Ellz (“L’s or her”) dogs” was my thought process.

And the bonus…..a total of four letters gives plenty of scope for names!

• Like 2