Eating grass

Luvapoo

I have searched the forum for this topic but surprised to find no match.

My dogs are all going crazy for grass lately. Like for the last month. We have had lots of rain and when they are let out of a morning they are heading straight for the wet fresh pick. This is a new thing for them. They even stop to eat the grass on our morning walks.

I know it was always said that if dogs eat grass they are sick or lacking something but their behaviour is perfectly normal they are energetic and acting the same.

I feed mostly black hawk kibble (yes recipe has changed) they also have a small amount of pet mince most days, and a fresh chicken leg once a week.

I have bought a more expensive kibble called meals 4 mutts, and we'll see if this makes any difference but meanwhile wondering about others experiences please.

I too have often tried to find info on grass eating. Molly does this too and so does my cat. Doesn’t happen all the time, just on and off and neither appear “off” in any way and I haven’t changed their diets at all. 

• Like 1

Dogs eat grass because they like it LOL.  I have noticed that they particularly like the long soft type.  I knew one dog who, when let off the lead, would race to a patch and spend ages just having a wonderful time munching the grass and jumping around in it.  

• Like 5

Yes some dogs are just cows when it comes to grass:laugh: I've had a couple.

I do believe they will seek out certain grasses if feeling a bit "blah" but it's not likely they will find what they need in built up areas.

• Like 3

My cats eat grass and vomit it up on my rugs with great regularity!

I was also under the perception, I think told to me as a young child, that cats and dogs eat grass to aid with digestion and digestive upsets. My cats don't seem to know this though... they just do it.

I could stop it by removing the grass I planted in their cat run, but I figure it must hold some value to them and their instinctual ways, so I leave it growing and cleanup after them. More fool me I guess. :laugh:

Edited by ~Anne~
clarity
  • Like 6

My BCs seem to eat grass for a couple of reasons ... occasionally they will throw up after eating it ... but most times .. especially when they can find nice tender grass. it really seems to be just for pleasure .... they are deprived at home, because the visiting pademelons and the occasional rabbit beat them to it.

• Like 1

Back in 1940s-50s many owners never vaccinated or wormed their dogs, even lucky to get to a vet if injured.  General belief was that dogs and cats eat grass as a natural wormer, and that it is a sign they have worms.  (Think that has been disproved, and the only true reason is that they like it).  

• Like 1