border collie coat - how to strip undercoat?

Hi

any suggestions how to strip a 9 month old bc under coat? he gets brushed daily with a normal brush (dont know what to call it but its a dog brush that looks like a human one???) and pin comb.

i thought it was doing a decent job as could brush through his coat with ease, when i went to bath him tho i have noticed he has a dense undercoat that has started to develop little twist matts (only a few so can go around and using the dematting comb and remove them)

clearly the brush and pin comb are not getting into the lower layers, this wasnt a issue with our first border collie this method seem to work fine

any suggestions?

cheers

Pin & comb is fine its more about technique.
You need to layer/line brush & most will use a good soft clicker brush & always spraying the coat before brushing as it goes static & crazy .(water & light conditioner )
You can absolutely use an undercoat rake BUT if the technique is wrong you will still get matts .
Your pup is most likely starting coat change & seasonal weather change & if spayed a coat change there too .

In the perfect world look at cylinder dryers on ebay approx $90 ish dollars & they are great for fluffing out coated breeds & assisting in dead coat removal 

23 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Pin & comb is fine its more about technique.
You need to layer/line brush & most will use a good soft clicker brush & always spraying the coat before brushing as it goes static & crazy .(water & light conditioner )
You can absolutely use an undercoat rake BUT if the technique is wrong you will still get matts .
Your pup is most likely starting coat change & seasonal weather change & if spayed a coat change there too .

In the perfect world look at cylinder dryers on ebay approx $90 ish dollars & they are great for fluffing out coated breeds & assisting in dead coat removal 

They go by another name ? I tried cylinder dryer but got clothes driers :(

Yeah I think your right on the technique part I will probably need to try and sectionalise the area and make sure the pins are getting down and into that lower layer, not desexed yet vet said wait til 1 yr old so his coat might change again post that

Dryer like this

we call them HV (high velocity) or force dryers in grooming. 

a thorough bath, blow dry with a HV dryer using a flat ended attachment or large circular attachment. Once thoroughly dry brush through with a slicker brush lifting the coat up or back with your hand in sections and brushing it down. Finish with a medium toothed comb 

the HV dryers make an enormous difference. The budget ones have risen a little in price to low 100 ish now 

we use very powerful dryers upwards of $500 , but the $100 ish dollar ones are fine if you’re just doing a few dogs or one pet now and then. 

as someone mentioned above your dog is likely coming into coat change which can get a bit ugly on thick coated dogs. Vigilance and consistency and great tools…… a couple of months his adult coat will settle and then you’ll just get seasonal changes. Desexing really does make a big difference to some BC coats. So so much bigger and thicker, and not as easily shed out. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bath, condition then blow dry with a force dryer, Aloveen conditioner is good because you don’t need much and it can be left in, when the coat is almost dry start brushing while drying, once fully dry comb through.

if you do this every 4 weeks with a bit of brushing and combing in between you shouldn’t have an issue, the only tools you should need are a pin brush, slicker brush and comb.