Cavoodle Dies After Being Mauled by 2 Dogs in Melbourne Park

Deeds

2 hours ago, Deeds said:

How tragic...and infuriating.

I thought VIC had pretty harsh laws about "restricted breeds".  Why weren't the police called in immediately?

Be careful about assuming the breed sandgrubber. Media articles always claim they're 'pitbulls' when they rarely are.

The description reported in the article is: 

The two dogs, one black and the other brown and white, were described as short and stocky with a medium build and coarse hair.

It seems most of these 'writers' (note, they're not journalists in the sense of the word) would rather go for the sensationalism and attention grabbing language of 'pitbull' instead of accurately reporting the incident. 

• Like 1

What a devastating story :(

1 hour ago, ~Anne~ said:

Be careful about assuming the breed sandgrubber. Media articles always claim they're 'pitbulls' when they rarely are.

I wonder if it’s also or alternatively a case of the people reporting attacks misattributing breed, and journalists just running with the description. When my parents’ toy poodle was attacked, my mother said the attacking dog was a pitbull. When I asked her about the dog’s appearance, her answers told me that it was actually a bull terrier (a strong, stocky, medium-sized white dog with a football shaped head). Sure enough, it was a bull terrier that was restrained by passersby and taken away by council.

• Like 2

the facts are any breed bred for fighting are more effective in dispatch.  Any breed bred for hunting and killing vermin are more effective in dispatch.

the other fact is. Dogs are completely unaware its not acceptable to kill . be it a chook, a cat, or another dog that triggers an attack response.

I came home one day to find my cavalier looking very proud of herself! Yes she had killed.

the body of the brown snake proudly brought to me.

I had completely forgotten, what are spaniels bred for?   Hunting,  Her instincts had not.

I also know a friend had 4 Cavalier King Charles.  came home to find one dead.

Examination proved she had been killed by one or more of the other 3.

their shocked owner was greeted at the gate by three wagging tails and happy smiles.

obviously they felt no guilt over the demise of no 4.

so many people are utterly shocked when a killing happens at a dog park!  

Frankly its a statement of how well behaved the majority are, that so few occur.

That teenager who killed those 18 children knew what he did was reprehensible but he still did it. No dog knows that.  May be disciplined if it shows aggression, but that's only if you happen to be present and can there to say NO!  Along with your dog obeys.   Many are very poorly trained fur children, its so fortunate how few attacks happen in relation to the hundreds of thousands who do not

do so.

do you really think you dog understands "tho shalt not kill?"

if dogs that grew up together can kill one of the group, why on earth should anyone be surprised when mixing dogs that dont even know each other can lead to an attack?

which is why I do not use dog parks

I have never been a fan of Russian roulette 

Edited by asal
  • Like 2

On 26/05/2022 at 3:47 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

What a devastating story :(

I wonder if it’s also or alternatively a case of the people reporting attacks misattributing breed, and journalists just running with the description. When my parents’ toy poodle was attacked, my mother said the attacking dog was a pitbull. When I asked her about the dog’s appearance, her answers told me that it was actually a bull terrier (a strong, stocky, medium-sized white dog with a football shaped head). Sure enough, it was a bull terrier that was restrained by passersby and taken away by council.

yes many have no idea of breed, or behaviour either for that matter.

a friend told me her dog was brutally attacked in her own car when she opened the door a pit bull jumped into the car and attacked him.

I visited the house where the "attack"  occurred and the neighbours 6 month old English bull terrier puppy (the ones with the big Roman nose, came hurtling through the fence to say hi!

its colour and markings matched the description of the "pit bull terrier" I had been told about.

she was only an over enthusiastic baby and obviously would help a burglar carry out the furniture, just like my aunts bull terriers. Everyones new best friend.   Well to humans. once older any ones dog challenge one of my aunts to a fight was not a wise dog.

Hence my aunt made sure her fences were secure and always on lead when she want walking with them, Neither of her dogs were aggressive to other dogs.  but if they were attacked they did fight back, as good as they got.

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

On 26/05/2022 at 7:10 PM, asal said:

I also know a friend had 4 Cavalier King Charles.  came home to find one dead.

Examination proved she had been killed by one or more of the other 3.

their shocked owner was greeted at the gate by three wagging tails and happy smiles.

obviously they felt no guilt over the demise of no 4.

do you really think you dog understands "tho shalt not kill?"

So true, @asal.  I recall my first vet telling me the story of people boarding 4 Maltese with him.  Insisted they be kenneled together, all friendly and loving.  He went in one morning and one had been mauled to death.  What a truly ghastly experience. 

Dogs don't understand "thou shalt not kill."  But we used to kill humans who killed (I know we are supposed to know it isn't right) and some dogs aren't fit to be around others because of breeding, mistreatment or whatever.  Those who are stronger, ie humans, have a duty to those who are put in danger by these dogs.  

I am so over journalists who just want to sensationalise everything.   They are supposed to report facts.  Long out of fashion, sadly.

• Sad 3

On 28/05/2022 at 2:47 PM, Loving my Oldies said:

Dogs don't understand "thou shalt not kill."  But we used to kill humans who killed (I know we are supposed to know it isn't right) and some dogs aren't fit to be around others because of breeding, mistreatment or whatever.  Those who are stronger, ie humans, have a duty to those who are put in danger by these dogs.  

Agree. Your first statement goes back to our earlier conversation around dogs being humanised. Dogs are animals and humans misjudge them greatly, preferring to think of them as little humans in fur suits.

Edited by ~Anne~
Clarity.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very easy to happen.  It only takes on dominant dog to start the fight and the others can snap into pack mentality...by holding and grabbing the legs /stomach.
I would NEVER take my dog to a dog park...ever, ever, ever.
Too many unrestrained dogs...too many training methods.  Invigorated under exercised dogs are asking for something like this to happen.  One dog overawed will become nervous , and switch on the 'weaker dog' scent.  All dogs will be tuned into this.  All it takes is that one scared dog to snap at a dominant dog and it's on.

Many owners are there for the chit chat and not watching the physical signs of growing tension.

I really think this is a negative that Milan has pushed...throwing all dogs in together.  You only have to see how many dog fights occur on his show.

• 2 weeks later...

Taking my dog to a dog park i ,  liken to throwing a loaded pistol in a toddlers  play park ,,  you would have to be mental ,  , Its just not rocket science , most just cannot control there dog  on or off leash