Ear Tattoo

Natsit

Hey just wondering if anyone else’s dogs ear has become limp after the desexing tattoo? We have adopted a cattle dog X kelpie and after her desexing tattoo her left ear-with the tattoo-doesn’t sit up like it used to and as it should in this breed. Anyone else have this experience?

Edited by Natsit

11 hours ago, Natsit said:

Hey just wondering if anyone else’s dogs ear has become limp after the desexing tattoo? We have adopted a cattle dog X kelpie and after her desexing tattoo her left ear-with the tattoo-doesn’t sit up like it used to and as it should in this breed. Anyone else have this experience?

I have flop eared breeds so this isn't a problem.

But I don't get the point of ear tattoos.   In the US, vets routinely put a streak of green dye into the incision wound.  It works like a tat,lasts forever,  and never seems to cause problems.

1 hour ago, sandgrubber said:

I have flop eared breeds so this isn't a problem.

But I don't get the point of ear tattoos.   In the US, vets routinely put a streak of green dye into the incision wound.  It works like a tat,lasts forever,  and never seems to cause problems.

That’s a pretty good idea. I’d never heard of it but it makes sense for female dogs anyway.

Male cats, and cats in general, would be a different matter. 

36 minutes ago, ~Anne~ said:

That’s a pretty good idea. I’d never heard of it but it makes sense for female dogs anyway.

Male cats, and cats in general, would be a different matter. 

https://sheltermedicine.vetmed.ufl.edu/2019/10/15/tattoo-study/

maybe it's not as widespread as I thought

Yes, it's done on male cats as well ...see photos

• Like 1

Thanks. It’s certainly another option.

I think ear tattooing would be far more suitable on a cat. There’s too much hair on the abdomen to see a tattoo easily.

Here’s my boy and he’s a short haired cat. 

D85D560B-3BC3-45B6-A6D1-3F9EC4BD5827.jpeg

Edited by ~Anne~