I'm getting a puppy!

denali

VERY EXCITED! 

I will be getting an english setter pup.
They are due in June and one will be joining me after 8-9 weeks. 
It's been nearly 10 years since I've had a puppy- and it's my first large breed - so would appreciate any words of wisdom or product recommendations. 

Will definitely be crate training and have already stocked up on enrichment toys, but always happy to hear your favourite puppy suitable ones. 

• Like 10

Just had to say English Setters are the most wonderful breed. They are so under rated- the perfect companion! 

Our boy basically loved everything we gave him as a puppy so no real recommendations for anything specific to buy- he went through a destructive stage around 6 months old but some toys on rotation and management and he transitioned out of that easily. He’s now 18 months and is one of the easiest dogs we’ve ever lived with!

12BD93B0-987F-46C4-B582-570CFEAA8CBC.jpeg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

I’ve owned 5 ES .

Focus on independence games ,ES can be very needy and barkers if not set up for success .

Grooming is a life skill mastered when still a pup 

I'll be chatting extensively with the breeder closer to re. keeping their coats, but did you handstrip your ES? clip or just a good brushing? 

19 hours ago, Cosmolo said:

Just had to say English Setters are the most wonderful breed. They are so under rated- the perfect companion! 

Our boy basically loved everything we gave him as a puppy so no real recommendations for anything specific to buy- he went through a destructive stage around 6 months old but some toys on rotation and management and he transitioned out of that easily. He’s now 18 months and is one of the easiest dogs we’ve ever lived with!

12BD93B0-987F-46C4-B582-570CFEAA8CBC.jpeg

They really are. I fell in love with them after getting to know the two that came to my old dog daycare centre. 

He is a stunner! 
They're expecting all colours, and i will take personality over colour any day, but the blue beltons are just extra striking in my opinion. 

• Like 1

We fell in love after having a long term client who had three within her family. We did training with all of them but there was a blue belton boy we did a lot with and he was the one that definitely made us start talking to breeders. 

We met our breeder just before covid hit and went on their waitlist. Had only met one of their dogs at a show and then we were in lockdown when the litter arrived so we let the breeder choose for us and hadn’t met the parents- made us very apprehensive, but Oakley was perfect for us from the moment he arrived. 

We have him properly hand stripped at the groomer and have an awesome comb that we run though him in between. Aside from throat/ hygiene areas etc I’d die if anyone clipped him

7 hours ago, denali said:

I'll be chatting extensively with the breeder closer to re. keeping their coats, but did you handstrip your ES? clip or just a good brushing? 

Handstripped/ show groom .

if spaying watch out for spay coats