Who feeds Livamol?

Kirislin

I bought a pack today and the feeding rate is very vague.  It just says 25-50grams. I don’t know if that means per kilo of dog’s weight, or per kilo of food.  I rang the number on the back of the pack but the woman who answered has no idea.  This stuffs been around for years. I can’t believe I’m the first person to query this.

does anyone know?

Yes I know. That’s the table on the back of the pack.  Way too vague.  I’ve just heard back from the company. The bloke was equally vague. I said I’ve got a 2.8 kilo dog and he just pulled an amount out of his backside and suggested a teaspoon.  I said what if I’ve got a 60 kilo Great Dane and he unflinchingly said 3 tablespoons.  Why they can’t give a ratio per kilo of dog I don’t know.

Edited by Kirislin

I thought 'teaspoon' and this must go back to when I used it for ponies, and gave some to the dogs because it was there, and that was the amount they got - must have been a reason but can't recall.  Must be over 20 years ago, so product may also have changed - you'd think they would be more accurate with the tables.  Why are you considering it Kirislin - recommendation or trying it out for general coat/health benefits?  

3 hours ago, PossumCorner said:

I thought 'teaspoon' and this must go back to when I used it for ponies, and gave some to the dogs because it was there, and that was the amount they got - must have been a reason but can't recall.  Must be over 20 years ago, so product may also have changed - you'd think they would be more accurate with the tables.  Why are you considering it Kirislin - recommendation or trying it out for general coat/health benefits?  

I’m really only trying it out of curiosity. I have a cream whippet and I want to see how it affects his colour.  I might not actually like it if it lightens him off. 

19 minutes ago, Kirislin said:

I’m really only trying it out of curiosity. I have a cream whippet and I want to see how it affects his colour.  I might not actually like it if it lightens him off. 

Livamol was always suggested to darken dogs up. I used to give a rough teaspoon to a GSD with snow nose

I can't help re the amount to use (I used it so long ago on dogs I can't really remember - I *think* it was about a couple of teaspoons for a 30(ish)kg dog - but that is really a tiny voice quietly saying 'maybe' in the back of my brain :laugh:)

But I can confirm that the result is to darken and 'strengthen/deepen' the colour of coats.   I have used it on both dogs and horses.  Not much change to coat colour for the dogs (but they were dark/solid colours anyway - I used it for pigmentation on eye lids etc).  It certainly made the horses coat darker/more depth/more vibrant - they were chestnuts and buckskins.   Could not use it on palominos as it made them smutty.   No idea what it would do on the coat color of a creme whippet (it does reverse if you stop using it, but not quickly)

Oooh, bit wary on the darkening for cream.  I know it did give a liver chestnut horse a really rich iridescent sort of shine, but he was dark-coated already.  I'd be more worried about marbling on a cream coat - like feeding a lot of pumpkin to creamy/palomino ponies.  Yes it's good feed value for coats, gives them a richer gold, but also dark 'smutty' patches so that's a warning bell.  (I still give my current palomino pony lots of pumpkin, but I don't show or breed, and she is dappled anyway). 

On 9/6/2022 at 10:06 AM, PossumCorner said:

Oooh, bit wary on the darkening for cream.  I know it did give a liver chestnut horse a really rich iridescent sort of shine, but he was dark-coated already.  I'd be more worried about marbling on a cream coat - like feeding a lot of pumpkin to creamy/palomino ponies.  Yes it's good feed value for coats, gives them a richer gold, but also dark 'smutty' patches so that's a warning bell.  (I still give my current palomino pony lots of pumpkin, but I don't show or breed, and she is dappled anyway). 

I didn’t know that about pumpkin.  He gets pumpkin in his diet already, although not much.