Why?

Rebanne

I bred a girl who needed a new home. She will be 5 in September so 4 1/2 years in her original home. A new home was found and her new Mum and I met over FB. Straight away there were questions on how skinny a Greyhound should look and what to feed her as the new family weren't happy with things.

Saw a photo today, hard not to cry. Severely underweight. And I mean borderline emaciated. And this was after a fortnight of good feeding. Why did her old family start neglecting her? Was it because they weren't keeping her anymore? I'd seen photos and videos and it looked like she was living the life of Riley.

She'd never been registered and the microchip was still in my name. The new owner was fixing these things. As well as asking advice about feeding. Vet visit Monday, bloods will be taken.

Why were the old owners so bad in the end? I suppose it's possible this poor girl has an underlying health problem but nothing was disclosed.

I just don't understand why people do this. I am glad I'm no longer breeding. 

• Sad 12

I suppose it depends on the circumstances surrounding why the old family needed to rehome her. I'm not condoning neglect, but there may be a valid reason for why she's in the condition she is.

Rather than fixating on her recent past, I suggest that you and her new owners just focus on now and to the future. She's in a better place now and getting what she needs to thrive. If there is an underlying medical condition, the vet will find that, and hopefully it can be treated and not be an issue for her in the future.

It's awesome that the new owners are in contact with you, as your advice about all things greyhound will be so valuable to them while they restore her to her former happy healthy self. Have faith that her life from now will be an awesome one, OK?

T.

• Like 6

You can only control so much. I'd like to think they gave her a great life for most of that time and then their circumstances changed so drastically they did the right thing and rehomed her as soon as they could. You and I might have handled it differently but that is the part we can't control.

One thing I'm thinking a breeder could always do maybe 3 months after rehoming/selling/adopting out a dog is to check the microchip transfer has been successfully done. I'm seeing it with lost and found dogs on FB all the time - still in breeders name years after rehoming. Could be an indication of people who say all the right things but don't live it or could just be a technical issue but either way it is not ideal for the dog. And it actually happened to me too. There was a hiccup on paperwork with one of mine and the microchip people never contacted anyone about it so my doggo was in limbo land in their system for over a year.

• Like 3

In NSW, the responsibility for transferring the chip lies with the breeder/owner/rescuer. They’re responsible for completing and submitting the forms. They should provide a copy of them to the new owners. The new owners should keep an eye out for the confirmation the chip has been transferred. 

When I was rescuing, I came across a lot of dogs still chipped to former owners or breeders. 

Edited by ~Anne~
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Little Gifts said:

One thing I'm thinking a breeder could always do maybe 3 months after rehoming/selling/adopting out a dog is to check the microchip transfer has been successfully done.

Yes, I did this as a rescuer. I rang Council every so often and asked them to tell me which dogs were chipped to my address. The paperwork often gets waylaid by councils and new details were never entered. 

These days it should be easier in NSW as owners can access their details on the database and do chip transfers. I’m not sure many do this though. I think council is still the preferred option. 

Edited by ~Anne~
  • Like 2

If she previously lived the life of Riley, then I imagine something terribly wrong has happened with her health and/or in the lives of her previous owners (severe illness, death, poverty, family violence, who knows).

I’m reminded of how we can look at morbidly obese dogs in rescue who are unable to walk with the pain and weight on their joints, and wonder how the owner could have abused them in that way. Then we learn that they had dementia and not being aware of things just keep feeding the dog.

I’m glad she’s getting the help she needs.

• Like 5