Pedigree....how many of you feed this

EMWEY93

Looking to get some answers from some very long time dog people for the sake of curiosity.

Pedigree....

How many of you feed it/have fed it/fed it for a long number of years. Surely there might be a few of you out there. Occasionally I bump into the old cocky in the supermarket (I live In Rural NSW) that laughs at me buying my grain free food and says he swears by Pedigree or Chum and has done for years. 

And yeah I know, in today's modern times pedigree is not considered "healthy" and that raw and grain free and probably people will say there is literally anything better than pedigree including garbage from the local tip...but I'm not going to hold it against or food bash anyone who feeds Pedigree, I'm not here to do that. Im just curious to hear from real life people. The website says it's been around for 40 years! So there must be a reason why it still exists.

Didn't the slogan used to be "recommended by top breeders" back when it was called PAL.

I would be interested to hear from said breeders from back in those days on the health and condition of their dogs on Pedigree, how long they lived for eating Pedigree etc. Surely there were champions from that time that ate Pedigree? 

Thankyou heaps from my curious brain!

I *think* I fed Pal puppy to my very first puppy so going back around 35 years! And I do think I got a bag from the breeder! Think I ventured on to Supercoat and Purina One fairly quickly. Would have fed tinned pal too but then started getting Nature's Gift tins direct from the factory. The quality of the NG tins was HEAPS better than it is now, used to look and smell like stew you could eat. There was no Petstock or Petbarn.

Did then start to buy dry food from Produce stores and then went through a Raw/Barf phase. Then to a super premium phase (Artemis, Holistic Select, Eagle Pack) combined with Raw. Kind of stayed in that phase until I got a dog that had to have prescription food, got less snobby about my dog food :laugh: 

Currently peeved that all the dog food I liked is either super hard to get hold of or has been discontinued. Looking at the bette supermarket brands again. Full circle! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The general "rule" is that if your dogs are doing fine on whatever you are feeding them, all is good... *grin*

I've fed all sorts of things to my dogs over the years, and to be perfectly honest, haven't really noticed a drastic difference except for how much poop is produced. Generally, the cheaper brands of kibble produce more poop and of a varying consistency, whereas the high end premium kibbles produce smaller and firmer poop. I've found that raw meat produces even less poop, and it has the added bonus of going white and breaking down faster (if left in situ of course) - not to mention that it doesn't stink much either.

As a vet nurse, I was rigorously schooled to plug the "complete and balanced" packaged pet foods (and we were even tested on that "knowledge" in order to pass the course)... regardless of what I feed my own dogs. Pretty sure vets are schooled in the same style where packaged foods are concerned.

Personally, I go by the general "rule" above... unless your dog has allergies to certain things, or has another health issue that can be managed by diet... in those cases, maybe take your vet's advice on what to feed, or seek the help of a qualified pet nutritionist to create a diet plan that will best serve your dog's needs.

T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, EMWEY93 said:

Looking to get some answers from some very long time dog people for the sake of curiosity.

Pedigree....

How many of you feed it/have fed it/fed it for a long number of years. Surely there might be a few of you out there. Occasionally I bump into the old cocky in the supermarket (I live In Rural NSW) that laughs at me buying my grain free food and says he swears by Pedigree or Chum and has done for years. 

And yeah I know, in today's modern times pedigree is not considered "healthy" and that raw and grain free and probably people will say there is literally anything better than pedigree including garbage from the local tip...but I'm not going to hold it against or food bash anyone who feeds Pedigree, I'm not here to do that. Im just curious to hear from real life people. The website says it's been around for 40 years! So there must be a reason why it still exists.

Didn't the slogan used to be "recommended by top breeders" back when it was called PAL.

I would be interested to hear from said breeders from back in those days on the health and condition of their dogs on Pedigree, how long they lived for eating Pedigree etc. Surely there were champions from that time that ate Pedigree? 

Thankyou heaps from my curious brain!

LOL, i never fed PAL

well unless I wanted the place smothered in runny doo's 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1