Catahoula needs rehoming

Hi All,

I am new to the page and would love some help rehoming a Catahoula.  I rescued Tiger from AWLQ 4 months ago and she is a beautiful dog. However I can see that she needs to be on a property or big yard.  I am on the Gold Coast and my small yard is not big enough for her, which I was able to deal with initially as I walk her or take her to the park to run around.  Yesterday I took her up Tamborine Mountain and she started crying in the back of the car, which in the 4 months she has never done.  I realised, and through other times, that this is her natural instinct. She loves and interacts beautifully with other dogs.  If the dog looks like a rabbit etc then she will chase. If the dog has a coat similar to a sheep then she will herd. 

I really want what is best for her.

AWLQ advised she was found during the Bryon Bay floods and then taken to the pound and then to AWLQ shelter.  I am wondering if someone in that region is missing their working dog. The recuse suggested she is between 1-2 years of age.

Thanks in advance

Rose

10 hours ago, Rose289 said:

Hi All,

I am new to the page and would love some help rehoming a Catahoula.  I rescued Tiger from AWLQ 4 months ago and she is a beautiful dog. However I can see that she needs to be on a property or big yard.  I am on the Gold Coast and my small yard is not big enough for her, which I was able to deal with initially as I walk her or take her to the park to run around.  Yesterday I took her up Tamborine Mountain and she started crying in the back of the car, which in the 4 months she has never done.  I realised, and through other times, that this is her natural instinct. She loves and interacts beautifully with other dogs.  If the dog looks like a rabbit etc then she will chase. If the dog has a coat similar to a sheep then she will herd. 

I really want what is best for her.

AWLQ advised she was found during the Bryon Bay floods and then taken to the pound and then to AWLQ shelter.  I am wondering if someone in that region is missing their working dog. The recuse suggested she is between 1-2 years of age.

Thanks in advance

Rose

Hi Rose,

join this FB group, you may get some info on who owned your dog before AWL saved her

Mullumbytes

https://www.facebook.com/groups/180882341986110

• Like 1

Hi All, thank you for your help. I haven't contacted them as yet as I thought I would try and find her a suitable place first.  I am planning to do that today. Even yesterday I went to a big dog park at 10.30am after the morning rush, and as soon as she sees a white fluffy little dog, her instinct kicks in. I have to put her back on lead. I really don't want anything bad to happen as she is a beautiful dog :) but she needs to be able to run around.

Thanks

Rose :)

A couple more thoughts.

1. Check out Sniff Space to see if there are any secure properties you can take her to.

2. Ensure you are providing adequate mental enrichment opportunities. Canine Enrichment FB group has lots of ideas, or use this page as a starting point: http://www.allpetseducationandtraining.com.au/enrichment.html

3. Consider walks on a long line in a more natural area vs street walks. https://www.dogminded.training/blog/2019/5/27/the-life-changing-power-of-decompression-walks?format=amp

With those things and seeking help from a force free trainer for things like muzzle training and engage/disengage games, you might decide that your home is a good home after all. Presuming you can’t find her previous people.

I think we can get caught up in this idea that dogs need a big backyard or trips to the dog park to be fulfilled, when that’s not necessarily the case. Especially dog parks. 

Again, just some thoughts. I don’t ever want people to feel bad about needing to relinquish their dog and am not coming from that angle. I don’t think that helps anyone, least of all the dog. And I have tremendous respect for people who break their own hearts to give their dogs a better life. It’s more from a place of curiously and wondering whether with a bit of a rethink about ways to meet her needs and keep everyone safe, whether you may not be the mismatch you think you are.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

• 2 months later...

What  a nice looking dog they are , just looked there pics up on the facebook page ,,, But noticed they are not mentioned here in the breeders or dogs for sale , i had never heard of the Catahoula dog ,, are they a registered breed , just curious   with them not being on this site ,, whats there background