Vegetarian Diet

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GMD,

Sorry dont know why but I thought he was a GSD that you had gought to start breeding with.....

:duh: just assuming & getting people mixed up, I will go & swap feet now..

Look as long as you research it & are happy with it & are willing to acknowledge IF it doesnt work you need to go try something else...why not, I wouldnt but I am not a vege either so your dog your choice.....

BTW: eggs you need to feed the white with the yolk to equal out the good & bad in both.

Jacqui

I've been told by a pathologist at Syd Uni that raw egg whites bind to biotin preventing the absorption of B vitamins, exactly the same in humans. Maybe someone on here can clarify that. A stack of studies have been done on this for humans - dont know about the same for animals.

Raz, biotin is one of the B vitamins (there are quite a number of them) and it is true that raw egg white binds to biotin and prevents it being absorbed. However it doesn't affect the other B complex vitamins.

Fortunately there are quite large amounts of biotin in egg yolk which means that a dog would have to eat a large number of raw eggs before a deficiency developed.

I researched this a number of years ago when I lived in the country and had chooks and my dogs were getting a few raw eggs a week (usually stolen from the chook pen). I hope I've remembered it correctly.

George my Doggie, I also thought that you were breeding GSD's, sorry I must have confused you with someone else :)

Edited by Miranda

Dogs are not human, and we shouldn't be forcing our principles onto them. Dogs are meat eaters and should be fed that way. Doing otherwise is unfair to an animal that is born to tear and chew at meat. Yes I know they can survive on a vegetarian diet, but is it really fair to them to expect them to do so?

Just out of interest, saw packets of vegan cat & dog food in a health food shop in Canberra today. As usual I was in a rush & did not have time to see if it was a biscuit type food or if it had to be reconstituted. I can't even remember the company that made it. If anyone is interested in following this up I could ring the shop & get the website of the manufacturer. Just let me know as it is not my intention to go down this pathway of feeding!

Not an option for a 'proper' vegetarian (ie vegan) diet... After all animals are exploited to produce milk too.

So if no dairy, must it be supplements?

Well if you mean vegan then say vegan. You just get me confused when you use the wrong terms.

vegetarian=no meat

vegan=no animal products

I guess supplements would be necessary, but I've heard calcium can be obtained from almonds and a few other foods that I can't remember. However, that was for humans and I don't know if those foods would be safe/digestable for dogs.

Don't eggshells have calcium in them?

I know all too well about the exploitation of animals to produce milk (that's why I'm going vegan :rolleyes: ) But I don't want my dog to suffer from a bad decision on my part.

Just out of interest, saw packets of vegan cat & dog food in a health food shop in Canberra today

If only I lived in the city/had a credit card...

I don't think there is any fair/unfair about it if you do it right and your dog enjoys it. My rotti will just as happily eat a banana as a chicken wing.

I do agree.

George loves banana :cry:

Dogs are not human, and we shouldn't be forcing our principles onto them. Dogs are meat eaters and should be fed that way. Doing otherwise is unfair to an animal that is born to tear and chew at meat. Yes I know they can survive on a vegetarian diet, but is it really fair to them to expect them to do so?

You make it sound like I'm being cruel. Firstly, I am not forcing my dog to do anything. It's his choice if he eats the food I put down infront of him. A vegetarian diet, in my opinion, is most certainly not unfair to the the animal. Just because they are predators, it doesn't mean they can't enjoy a totally contradictory lifestyle. first rule of nature: To survive, you have to be adaptable.

If you want to give a dog a 'natural' diet, go take it out into the bush and let it kill it's own prey.

Is it fair for the livestock to be killed to put food in a dog's bowl?

I'm not only thinking about my dog here people. I'm thinking about the poor livestock that lived their entire lives on a farm, only to be sent to slaughter to put food on our (and our pet's) plate.

I know it has been said many times that soy isn't good for dogs as it can cause bloat...So I take it that it would be a bad idea to feed soy milk to my dog?

Edited by George my Doggie

Sorry,..but Your comment infers that the dog is able to make an educated choice...

..."It's his choice if he eats the food I put down in front of him...."

I guess it IS his choice...eat the vege diet or have an empty belly !! :rolleyes:

Hey, I know my dog, and if he doesn't like something, he doesn't eat it!

He's not one of those that will eat just any old garbage that happens to be habitating his bowl at the time.

He'd rather starve than eat something he doesn't like.

You statement could be applied to anything.

"Go into a sit...or don't get the piece of cheese"

"Don't chew the stuff I shouldn't...or get a time out"

"eat the vege diet...or have an empty belly"

EVERYONE is guilty of manipulating the choices their dog gets. I still don't understand why some people think controlling what food he has access to is cruel/un-natural/whatever.

In the wild, a carnivore will eat plants and vegitable matter if there isn't enough meet, or if their nutritional needs aren't being met with meat alone. All I will be doing is controlling the abundance of meat. My dog will not suffer for it. Food is not his entire life.

He'll still be getting the consant love and attention he always did. He'll still be played with just as much. He'll still get all the exercise he needs. His coat will still be brushed and kept in top condition. He'll still get to play with all his friends. His meals will taste just as good (probably better because he's not too enthusiastic about the commercial diet he's currently on). His nutritional needs will still be met, even though it won't be with meat.

How is this cruel? Please explain.

Edited by George my Doggie

How is this cruel? Please explain.

--------------------

I don't think I said it was "cruel"..and, if done properly, it isn't. :rolleyes:

What i don't understand is that because you don't support the killing of animals..you are enforcing this belief on your dog.I'm not really flaming you...I just can;t understand.

But you did imply it.

Then let us just agree that we have different views. I don't think I could explain any further why I want to feed my dog a vegetarian diet, and I don't think I could understand why you don't understand.

If you don't care about the suffering and killing of farm animals than you won't be able to comprehend my way of thought. I value all life and every life. I don't think I can put it any simpler than that.

Guest Tess32

Out of interest, is it because of the way animals are farmed, or would you be against the dog eating meat they have naturally caught and killed?

Nat

If you don't care about the suffering and killing of farm animals than you won't be able to comprehend my way of thought.

It's not as black and white as that...and to say that people here don't care about 'suffering and the killing of animals' shows you are only seeing things in two colours....

I will say that my dogs luuurved their turkey butt dinners tonight, and the carrots that they chewed on for afters.

>>>If you don't care about the suffering and killing of farm animals than you won't be able to comprehend my way of thought. <<<

But does your dog? You are forcing your views onto your animal, who don't have the same sort of value structure that you do.

I don't appreciate being told that I don't care about the suffering of animals when it just isn't true. My dogs are fed a raw natural diet. just as nature intended them to eat. Dogs eat meat. Horses eat grass. Lions eat meat. Sharks eat fish. You can't change those very simple facts of nature. Sure a dog might survive on a vegetarian diet, but I think that forcing them to do so because of your own opinions about the meat industry is unfair to the dog. If you feel that strongly, perhaps a dog isn't the right pet for you.

George My Doggie:

PLEASE make an educated informed decision. :rofl:

You have obviously got a very strong opinion about feeding your dog a vegetarian diet and are well-armed with all the information for the reasons you SHOULD.

And I'm not flaming but I've got to stick up for SkysongTollrz - nature did intend for dogs to eat meat. Sorry but them's the facts. What animal would you prefer to be cruel to?

You have been given a lot of advice here on DOL but you now need to really educate yourself about the CONS.

Do read the book "Give A Dog A Bone". If you can't buy your own copy, I am sure your Canine Control Council would have one in their library.

I'm not saying this will change your mind but it will give you a little more education about this issue and you can say, "I HAVE read the book and in my educated and informed opinion, my dog is a vegetarian". It will only reinforce your position. :cry:

I'm not completely against feeding a dog a vege diet but I choose not to. If the dog is healthy and happy on a vege diet, then great but in certain dogs it is to his/her detriment which is not the sort of dog owner you want to be. You obviously are a caring person. :rofl:

Stay openminded and good luck with your education :rolleyes: