Critique My Puppies Diet Please

Hi Everyone,

I was just after everyone’s views on the diet I am currently using for my 16 week old Beagle (Bella).

For breakfast she gets 1 and ½ Weetbix with Puppy Milk

For lunch she usually gets a chicken neck and a small handful of dry (Hills Science Diet Puppy).

Then for dinner she gets a bowl full of cooked beef mince (human grade) with mixed veggies and mixed in with a handful of dry (Hills Science Diet Puppy)

Do you think this is all ok for her? Should I change or add anything?

Thanks for your time.

Ben

For breakfast she gets 1 and ½ Weetbix with Puppy Milk

She probably doesn't need the grains she's getting from the Weetbix.

Then for dinner she gets a bowl full of cooked beef mince (human grade) with mixed veggies and mixed in with a handful of dry (Hills Science Diet Puppy)

You shouldn't cook the mince (nor veggies).

Are you trying for a BARF diet or are you just adding some goodies to a commercial food diet?

Is chicken neck ok to give to pups? wouldn't they accidently be choked by the fine bones? I am just a bit nervous giving them to my pup. :)

I have feed Bella chicken necks for at least 4 weeks. She loves them. Never once had a problem. She gobbles up and nearly swollows them whole!

I think I remember either posting or reading a thread on here about chicken necks being fine for puppies.

Chicken necks and Chicken Wings are great for pups!! My boy loves them!! You just have to supervise them when you give them one. They could choke your pup but just watch him.

I have had no problem with Bailey though, he just crunches through them. He has been eating them for 2 months.

Just give him one and see how he goes.

Mel

I have been wondering the same thing about giving chicken necks/wings to my pup (14 weeks old) but now i'll definately give it a go, with supervision.

What about other bones? Lamb shanks etc?

I have been wondering the same thing about giving chicken necks/wings to my pup (14 weeks old) but now i'll definately give it a go, with supervision.

What about other bones? Lamb shanks etc?

I give them all to Bella. She loves bones and chicken necks.

Just supervise your pet just in case. I still watch Bella when she has a bone or chicken neck.

Your dogs will do back flips for them! :)

Henry my 3 month pup likes his daily chicken necks raw, I always stay with him though because his tiny needle point teeth often get stuck in the bones and he wimpers for me to dislodge them. So watch the pup with the bones, it is great for them though, so do give it a try... I am glad I did.

Hi Dremen,

I agree with the others.. .you could use the weetbix. Dogs can have a small amount of ceral-based foods, but they don't really need it. If he loves it though, you could use it as a special treat.

Kate C & poppii - if you are worried about giving your dogs chicken necks or wings, you could hold one end of it firmly while your pup starts to munch on it (the chicken neck, not your fingers, hopefully!). That teaches them not to just gobble them down. Chicken carcasses and lambs necks are great as well! They also love lamb shanks, but they are usually quite fatty, so perhaps maybe once or twice a week?

Is chicken neck ok to give to pups? wouldn't they accidently be choked by the fine bones? I am just a bit nervous giving them to my pup. :)

Be very careful the first time, especially if your dog is a hoover! My puppy (at around 14 weeks) choked badly on a chicken neck (I thought she was going to die) and ended up overnight at the emergency vet to make sure she didn't regurgitate it. I have been too scared to try them since, and the vet recommended whole lamb shanks too, as she couldn't swallow them. She has since had brisket bones OK and I'm about to try chicken wings.

Also for a treat, a small can of tuna, salmon etc - Indy loves it! Also had a tin of smoked oysters (blerk) but Indy gobbled 'em up. Gave him a good few hours before he was allowed to give kisses again! Or mix them up with the mince.

Whack a whole bunch of fruit and veges in the blender to roughly chop them (except onion of course) and mix it up into the mince. Ration should be more fruit/veges than mince. Doesn't matter if it's beef, chicken, pork, lamb mince or whatever. This is our Sunday arvo ritual to mould them into round handful sized patties, then freeze them. As it's warm up here we feed them to Indy frozen - it also takes him longer to wolf it down.

Don't fuss too much - they're tough! :)

adding mince without bones to teh dry food will unbalance it - adding too much phosphorous and not enough calcium. You would be much better adding chicken necks/wings or going to Lenard's chicken shop and getting pet mince from there (which also contains ground bone) because that mince is better balanced. I would also ditch the wheetbix.

When I send my beagle pups home they go with a recommendation that they are fed nothing else but raw chicken wings for at least the first few days . They eat raw meaty bones from the time they are about 5 weeks old but their Mum feeds them chewed up bones and meat before this.

Raw chicken wings for breaky means that he wont need lunch as they fill em up and stay in there longer and you may as well feed cardboard to a pup as feeding weetbix especially after a long break . Remember he's teething so chewing on bones is good for him inthis regard as well.

The biggest thing that you need to remember when you feed your dog is that it needs to be fed the same as you . That is with lots of variety and balanced so that he gets all he needs in the space of about a week just like humans he needs more unprocessed fresh food than otherwise. If at the end of the day you decide on commercial its better to feed all different brands rather than stay on one. Some hills science diet has ethoxyquin which is a known carcenogenic.

http://www.bluegrace.com/barf.html

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

http://www.barfworld.com/html/learn_more/barf_pups.shtml

http://www.barfworld.com/main.shtml

http://www.barfers.com/bigpicture.html

Here are some links

The book Give your dog a bone is excellent to teach you the basics in canine nutrition .