Raw Lamb Bones From Butcher

I cant make comment on the type of bone, but i have found 100% of the time if i feed any of my dogs raw lamb bones or scraps from a side of lamb (human grade the scabby bits that i don't want i feed out) the dogs get tape worms every time. it's also the only time that mine get them.

just what i have found. Last thing that you want puppies sick with is worms.

My 2 are only small so they get Lamb Brisket bones. I feed them

1. For their teeth

2. Fat content (brisket bones high fat)

3. Treat.... the love them

Even Taco will eat them now instead of hiding them, digging them up and rolling on them :laugh:

Havn't had a worm problem though.

Now I am worried, I don't want my boy to get worms.

He is up to date with all his worm tablets etc, sould this be alright? He has had brisket bone on the odd occasion and has no problems.

Edited by Alibear

Now I am worried, I don't want my boy to get worms.

He is up to date with all his worm tablets etc, sould this be alright? He has had brisket bone on the odd occasion and has no problems.

Alibear, my guys both adults and puppies get marrow bones ( also called cannon bones ) plus lamp flaps, lamb necks etc.. and I have never had them get tapeworm from eating them.

If your boy is up to date with his worm medication, I am positive he will be fine.

there is absolutely no way you can get tape worms from meat!! Tape worms come from fleas! Sam.m - you need to worm your dog and put him on good quality flea control if you are really getting tape worm - it certainly isn't coming from the meat!

Mine get those huge marro bones every week,cut up though so they can get to the marro more easily,also chuck bones or half a sheeps back and ribs.. <there eyes bug outa there head when the see them lol>..and chew happily and quietly for hours *Ahh love that peacefull time*

about worms, if there on a regular worming program say every 3 or 4 months i dont think there would be any probs..The only raw meat i dont feed my dogs is pork....Apparently my Great Grandma ended up with a tapeworm,she was from a country area and used to love eating 'blue'or bloody steak :laugh: not my style :rofl:

ETA But theres no way i can confirm this... :laugh:

Edited by Sirmonsta

Aatainic:

there is absolutely no way you can get tape worms from meat!!

If its the hydatit? tapeworm we're talking about, you or your dog can get it from eating meat or offal infected with a hydatit cyst. :laugh:

I'm not sure but I also think you can get it in egg form via the faeces of an infected animal. As my tribe are rather fond of roo poo, I make sure to worm regularly. :laugh:

yup no doubt they are tape worm have been a part of the dog world for over 15yrs have encounter them a few times and yes it is human grade meat I buy it a side at a time. If i cook the meat no problems at all. My dogs are wormed mthly every mth with a mthly wormer and then once every 3 mths with drontal, only time i get them is after raw lamb, hence i don't feed it to them if. If i am lucky enough to be able to afford it for myself they get it cooked.

EDIT:

PooldleFan many thanks. Yes hydatit tape worm is what i am talking about.

My dogs also get mthly flea contol and weekly flea/tick dipped.

Edited by sam.m.

If the tape worms are being expelled thats good it means the worm medication is working as it should...alls good no probs..all dogs on raw and meaty bones need regular treatment...Mmmm lucky dogs get Roast lamb :laugh: for human grade meat even though the meat inspections are top notch, a few tapeworm cysts wouldnt get picked up, but its a lot better now than it was say 20yrs ago..

Thank you everyone for your advice. Bear went absolutley crazy over the bone last night! He loves brisket and if we go near him he usually runs away because he thinks we are going to take it from him, but last night was the first time he actually growlled at us for going near him when eating - is this normal?

BearBone300505002.jpg

BearBone300505011.jpg

BearBone300505004.jpg