Dogs And Whole Eggs...

Hi -

Just wondering if anyone else has seen dogs do this - I have a feeling I've seen something similar in one of the BARF threads.

I gave a small black female lab an unbroken egg thismorning with her brekky - she lifted it out of the bowl, and gently put it on the ground and ate the rest of her food before going back to the egg. Then she picked it up and kept looking over her shoulder at me as if she was worried, and kept bringing it up and proffering it to me doing the whole-body-shimmy that she's so good at... kept circling round my legs... I thought she might view it like a bone so knew she had to go outside, but she didn't want to stay out there either... carried it around for about 10 mins before accidently dropping it... and it broke and she then polished it off...

She knows how to get into them - she chomped into one the other morning...

What do reckon she was on about? She was holding it so gently and was so insistent on showing it to me...

???

M.

My GSP sometimes does the gently holding the egg thing too... othertimes she just smashes it.

So cut eto watch them carry it around though!!!

Though I have no idea 'why' they do it.

Sound like an offering to me!

This is off topic a little so I appologise, but I wanted to share:

Years ago now when I was working in a stable there was a stable cat that became very attatched to me. He was the friendliest, smoochiest, most intelligent cat! He was more like a dog, he would come when I called and sit when I asked. He used to climb on top of the stable door and from there climb onto me (or just take a flying leap from the ground) and drape himself across my shoulders as I worked. He was an excellent stable cat and kept the area mice and rabbit free. I, unlike everyone else there, always praised him when he brought me a kill as keeping the stables free had been his job long before we took over so it wouldn't be right to punish him for doing it.

Anyway I digress....He always presented me with his kills for me to ooh and ahh over. However, very often he brought me live mice and rabbits. These were very carefully caught and carried, without so much as drool on them. He would bring it to me and place it at my feet or in my lap. If they ran away he would patiently catch them, replace them and sit looking at me. If I let them go, he was happy for them to get away. I feel sure, based on his behaviour that he was simply bringing me 'presents.'

Such a sweety.

my basenji will carry it oh-so-carefully aound for a bit, then take it to his eating spot. He then proceeds to gnaw a tiny little hole in the shell - about the size of a five cent piece - and lick the whole egg out through that hole. Doesn't spill a drop, I'd let him eat it inside on the carpet if he wanted to. When done, he carries the empty shell over to his bed and chomps it into tiny little pieces.

Maybe there is just something about eggs that makes dogs do weird things? :thumbsup:

I am by NO means an expert in this area... but I have read somewhere (and I'm sorry - I thought it was in Lonsdale's book which I've been reading but now I can't find the reference...) that eggs can be given whole, and if the dog doesn't like them the shells can be ground up and added to the food... Maybe I just got that off a random BARF thread somewhere though... Sorry to be so vague - it's frustrating me that I can't picture where I read it!

Edited by Mana

my little dog, Lucy will not even pick up an egg so I usually break it into her bowl and leave the shell & all in there.

However, Bayley, the amstaff will carry an egg around for ages until he accidentally breaks it. I'm sure Amstaffs are not known for being gentle lol

So are you saying, you can give your dog a raw egg, shell and all - straight from the fridge to eat?

For sure! My Rotti loves it but she is a guts, there's no carrying it around, just chomp and straight down the hatch :(

I had a poke around -

& came up with these - you have to trawl through a bit but I'm pretty sure this is what I was reading before. There are some other threads about puppy diets etc too - where I noticed people advised to hold off eggs till the pups were a bit older...

I just discovered you can search for individual posts rather than whole threads - that's how I found these - they came up with "shell"...

Hope I've done the links right.... :(

Eggs

Barf diet including a few shell refs

Big Barf thread with some eggy comments

Edited by Mana