Cartrofen

Hope you mean Cartophren!

The course of 4 injections worked wonderfully well with our last dog.........an old ACD who arthritis in his hips.

He had injections at the beginning of every winter for his last 4 years. The last year it didn't work well and he was on Rimadyl as well but he was very, very old by this stage.

For the first few years it turned him into a playful dog again!

If your dog has arthritis I would recommend it it if the Vet has suggested it.

Thanks Tim'sMum,

It was recommended to me by my dogs chiropractor..although he spelt it Cartrofen.........and that's how i spelt it when doing a search on the net ....lol

Anyway sounds like you had success with it, i will ring the vet tomorrow and talk to him about it.....i just wanted to know if people here had used it and what they thought.

With my dog being so young i just hope there is no side effects, if she needs it once a year for the rest of her life. As i was told after the initial course of 4 injections you get a booster once ayear.

Thanks for your input

Michelle

Dru.......... firstly thanks for the birthday wishes. :rolleyes:

I will give it a go...........i will try "anything" to fix her. It was devastating to hear this, it has to be up there with one of the worst days of my life.

Michelle

Sorry, I may be wrong on the spelling.

Regarding side effects........I'm not aware of any at all. Jed, our old dog had the 4 x once weekly injections every year, usually April.......it was about $40 each injection; probably more $'s now but well worth it. He had no side effects, no reactions except good.

An old doggy we meet at the park most days has just had it and he actually 'bounces' and has no sign of the limp he has had for months.

Go ahead and try it.........hope it works.

Last I heard it was being trialled on humans!

Oh! And Happy Birthday!!!

My pup has H.D at 5months. & my vet has given him Cartrophen one weekly injection over 4 weeks. just had his last one.

Plus on sashas blend .

Edited by byott

It's spelled Cartrophen - the ingredient is Pentosan Polysulfate, so sometimes it is called Pentosan- depending on the drug manufacturer.

The other drug Carprofen is Rimadyl- a non-steroidal anit-inflammatory.

My Staffy has been having monthly injections for about 15mths, as she has quite alot of arthritis in the elbows due to dysplasia.

I think it works fairly well and I can tell when she's getting towards the end of the month.

Mel.

I have used Cartrohphen on a very arthritic german shepherd with great success and also on one of my schnauzers, also terrific success.

Before using Rimadyl, I would advise you to look up Rimadyl on google - adverse reactions - there has been a class action against Pfizer in the USA. Best of luck with your dog and happy birthday.

An old doggy we meet at the park most days has just had it and he actually 'bounces' and has no sign of the limp he has had for months.

Similar result for our 14 yr old Sheltie when she completed a course of Cartrophen injections. This description could fit her.

She'd previously had Rimadyl by mouth...& had nasty side-effects of making her sick.

With my dog being so young i just hope there is no side effects,

my dog at 13 months went on cartrophen (spelling) and sasha's blend

they seem to be working pretty well

was 1 injection every week for 4 weeks then 6 monthly for 18months and then yearly.

if i notice her "slowing" down (looking like her hips are causing her discomfort) i take her earlier.

started 1 yr ago this month, she had the 1st 6 montly one in december, a month or two earlier than she should of, but she was due the other week for hte next one but isn't showing any signs of slowing down at the moment, and she'll get it again in the next few weeks. just gota wait til i can get a day off (prolly the week before i leave) as the vet that treats her for HD is on the other side of brisbane so hard for me to get to. i will take her sooner if i think she needs it tho.

We have a 18yo mini poodle who can get quite stiff in winter. We have been getting the injections for her for the last 5 years or something like that. Usually she just has the course just prior to the cold months and it lasts through the winter. If she's having a bad year then I think we have her done again further into winter too. I don't know if it works for dogs but my older horse gets arthritis and gets a bit stiff in winter. I give him a cup of apple cider vinigar in his dinner each day and it works like a miracle! He's like a new horse!

Edited by amandasmith

I give him a cup of apple cider vinigar in his dinner each day and it works like a miracle! He's like a new horse!

A whole cup of apple cider vinegar sounds like one heck of a lot of vinegar to add to the meal of a mini poodle.

Hehehe, thinks she means the horse Anne.

ACV also works wonders in dogs. Boosts the immune system and keeps infections at bay. Lots of uses according to our diet guru Steve.

I teaspoon a day would be enough for your poochy poodle though.

anne: its a cup per day for the horse. LOL

I have successfully used cartrophen for my elderly Miss Sophie. Worked like a charm for the first few years but now she is on non steroidal antiinflamatories. The years have taken their toll. she is 11.5 yo great dane x irish wolfhound.

I will try the apple cider vinegar...at this stage will try anything to help her comfort levels.