Lamb Necks

Why don't you try giving him the whole chicken frame to chew on? If he gutses smaller parts or his minced up frames... That way he gets plenty of bone and cartilage as well as some meaty bits. That's what all my dogs get and even the little ones go for it. Takes them ages but it keeps them occupied and happy. And they have bewdiful toothy-pegs! :rofl:

See, he is weird, he will chew his breakfast (minced carcass with fruit and vege) which you would think he would hoover down as it is hooverable (?) :cheers::rofl: but he doesn't instead he will gulp a chicken neck.

So thats why i was giving him the lamb necks so he could just give them a good chew for his teeth which he does but never has fully eaten a lamb neck. Now i am reading that semi-toothed dogs can eat lamb necks :laugh:

Perhaps the lamb necks i get are harder? or perhaps the HOURS i seem to think it takes him to chew it up isn't in fact that long :rofl: - may be because i supervise the lil gulper it just seem to take sooooo long.

Not the most interesting way to spend an afternoon LOL.

(although when the cat comes to try and steal the bone it makes for some interesting viewing LOL)

I stay away from sheep necks, I've watched several Kelpies just about choke to death on these things. I think one would have, if I hadn't jambed my fist down it's throat and yanked the bone out. Very scary event for both of us - my heart was pounding.

Viva chook necks! :cheers:

They do have lamb off cuts but all they seem to be at the moment is fat with a little meat.

I know what you mean, I stay away from lamb off cuts as my dogs dont seem to like them, and I dont like all the fat on them. At the moment the beef soup bones from Woolies seem cheap and they have lots of meat on them.

Cant help you with the choking thing as my dogs dont seem to have this problem.

Sounds familiar... I only get Brodie's bones from the butcher unless they have specials on the day.

She is a Golden, so a whole lamb neck isn't much of a challenge. If she's eating like a princess she will finish it off in about 15 minutes. I have also given her the rosettes, sometimes labelled as Osso Bucco (sp?) in woolies, and cheap to buy. They are cut into 1.5 cm slices.

I have also given her the rosettes, sometimes labelled as Osso Bucco (sp?) in woolies, and cheap to buy. They are cut into 1.5 cm slices.

Will have to check these out. Thanks. And Turkey necks so, off to woolies i think :cheers:

Harvey had another lamb neck last night, this one was different it was cut length ways in half.. and that took him about 10-15 mins to have that just about completely gone (yes, i took the last nobbly bit away from him :laugh: )

he is getting heaps better with chewing (i think the lamb necks have helped with this), i am the one who has to stop being so paranoid LOL.

Just watch with the Osso Bucco bones - Mine get the occasional one, since my boyfriend cuts the meat off for his CAT :laugh: and one of mine will get the bone (and marrow inside) for a recreational treat.... What to watch for, is the dog may get his/her bottom jaw through the center hole. The Osso Bucco bones aren't wholly digestible either.

The lamb's neck "two to three times the size of a chicken neck" I was describing earlier (that my JRT's got).... Same length as a chicken neck, and a "quarter" cut lengthways so they're about double the "fatness" of a chicken neck. Does that make any sense? :cheers:

The lamb's neck "two to three times the size of a chicken neck" I was describing earlier (that my JRT's got)....  Same length as a chicken neck, and a "quarter" cut lengthways so they're about double the "fatness" of a chicken neck.  Does that make any sense?  :laugh:

Yep, that makes sense, thanks. The necks i seem to get are HUGE (now does this make sense) - the necks i get are about 20-23cm long and about as thick as the bottom part of a beer stubby, is that big for a lamb neck??,

He likes them so i guess i will continue to give them to him.. good for his teeth, i suppose chewing anything for a long time would be good for teeth :cheers: .

Thanks for the heads up about the Osso Bucco, will check them out first before i buy them, or just buy them and do what your BF does for the Cat LOL.

Edited by katetk

I have had lamb necks from the supermarket and lamb necks from a butcher/market.

I have to say the lamb necks I get from the butcher/market are different from the so called lamb neck pieces/quarters in the supermarket.

They are round, a lot more meat and not as fatty, looking at them when the meat has been stripped off, or if I cut them in half or quarters, they are smaller and the bone not as thick, I much prefer these to the supermarket ones. Easier for the Frenchies to chew, and most of the time they do finish them or leave a tiny piece of bone.