Dew Claw Removal?

I remove dew claws at 2 days of age, I would never remove the dew claws from an adult dog unless there was a specific reason for their removal eg. the claw had caught on something and been damaged. Provided they are clipped regularly I have never had a problem with them.

One of my girls had to have her front dew claw removed after it grew back.

The operation involves removing a slice of the bone together with the claw as the claw is attached to it. Much easier and less painful when the kids are a few days old. On the other hand she is much better off without it as it was growing at a bad angle. Also being a poodle with hairy legs you can often forget to clip the nail at times.

My Mum had her dog's removed a few months ago.

He is a rescue and for some reason can not handle anyone touching his claws. Even the vet cant cut them - last time he tried Jack pooped all over the vet office he was so petrified!! :o

The other claws wear down from walking, but his dew claws were growing in a circle because he wouldnt let anyone near them.

She didnt take the decision lightly though and did much soul searching before deciding to have it done :)

I think if they were causing a problem to my dogs I would get them removed. Luckily for me, mine havent had a problem yet ! ;)

Jen

The front dew claws are attached to the bone and are more involved to remove. The back dew claws are only attached so to speak by skin and are easier to remove and get caught and rip.

The rear dew claws are not always only attached by skin. I've had a few rescues with rear dew claws (some skin, some bone) and all are removed at desexing time. It costs about $30 extra with our vets to have skin dew claws removed, up to $75 for bone ones.

I have never had front dew claws removed, they just don't seem to be as prone to catching on things.

:o

Indy had a rear claw that just flopped - no bone connection to the leg itself. He never got it caught, but it would have one day I'm sure. It was chopped off when he was desexed, and I had a greater fear that he would have a go at that wound than his ex-dangly bits, but he wasn't bothered at all by either.

The vet did a good neat job, there is very little scar, the wounds (both ops) healed very nicely and it cost an extra $18 to do it. I was hoping it would be a freebie!! But sounds like we got a good deal compared to some. Would do it again if the situation required it.