Inflamed Gums

Hi everyone i have a problem with my golden retriever Einstein he has very pink to red gums and there inflamed.Also where his teeth in the gums are very red almost looks like blood it could also be blood not sure.He has not been interested in eatting bones and he used to love bones.My mum doesn't want to take him to the vet she thinks its nothing and he will live.He has also got very bad breath it almost makes you full over by the smell of it.I want to take him to the vets for a check up but my mum will not do it.I'm just wandering if you will all will know what it could be?.I'm thinking a mouth infection his teeth are clean a bit of yellow on the teeth but not much.What could i do until i can get him to the vets for a proper check up?.Thanks every in advance

Edited by ToyPoodleLover

I rang the vet and told him what his gums and teeth are like he said it sounds like gingivitis which i will have to brush his teeth if he will allow it.I have tryed brushing his teeth and he will not allow it and even growls.The vet said if he won't allow the brushing of his teeth theres nothing i can do about it.He said when i can to take him down and get his mouth checked out.The vets are closed now they close at 2pm its now 2:20pm.

Just wandering will apple cider vinger work for this i'm thinking of mixing 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinger in his food.

Um, there is nothing else to do except TAKE HIM TO THE VET first thing in the morning.

Teeth and mouth conditions are very painful and are usually only can be treated successfully by having the teeth cleaned properly by the vet under aneasetic. And then proper feeding and bones helps treat the condition.

Cleaning them yourself (even if he let you do it) would do nothing as the build up of tartar can only be removed by the special machine they use and that's why they do it while they are asleep.

No offense here but if your mum had a saw mouth or tooth would she go to the dentist????

Yes she would go to the dentist if she had a sore tooth but she thinks theres nothing wrong and i'm just worrying for nothing.He is starting to get that way he won't touch his bones unless my sisters dog wants it but then he will just lay near it and won't eat or chew on it.I'm going to have to convince my mum to take him to the vet.Tommorrow Einstein has an appointment to get bathed,his nails clippet,hair inbetween the pads trimmed,blow dryed,brushed,and frontlined which i have paid for so he can't miss that he really needs a bath.So i will try and get him to the vet on thursday or friday.

Guest LittlePixie

Why can't he go to the groomer AND to the vet?

Vets are open for much of the day and it shouldn't take 24 (or even 12) hours to have him groomed.

Dogs hide pain very well and his teeth have probably been bothering him for much longer than you were aware of. By the time dogs are actively SHOWING pain it is often (not always... often) quite severe.

His not in any pain he still plays and eats his dinner just won't touch the bones.He really does need both vet and groomer.He has a claw that is broken off and only hanging on my whole family will not touch it.I will try and get him to do both go to the vet and get bathed and all on the same day.

I get worried when we go to the vets now cause Einstein hates vets he growls and goes to bite them.This is why i try to keep him away from vets cause he does not like them.So now when i have to take him i tell them to muzzel him which he doesn't like.

Guest LittlePixie

Okay... they can't both muzzle him AND look at his teeth.

How do you know he's not in pain? If the gums are inflamed and red and his breath is shocking and he's refusing to chew, then by all acounts it certainly sounds like he's in pain.

ToyPoodleLover, I seem to remember from previous posts that Einstein has many other problems in addition to his teeth, doesn't he have a heart problem, low stamina and troubles with his feet? I think that you were advised to take this dog to the vet a few weeks ago, if he now also has a mouth abcess he will be in terrible pain (I know 'cos I've had one) and you MUST take him to the vet asap. If you leave him as he is you are being cruel to your dog. Please, please take him to the vet for a complete check up. I agree with LittlePixie, why can't he go to the groomer AND the vet, if he has to be muzzled so what? He needs veterinary attention NOW!

Edited by Miranda

I could be wrong but to me he doesn't look like his in pain.But like you said they can hide pain very well so i will try my best to get him to the vet and groomer.I will probably have to get the vet to come outside to check him.

ToyPoodleLover, I seem to remember from previous posts that Einstein has many other problems in addition to his teeth, doesn't he have a heart problem, low stamina and troubles with his feet? I think that you were advised to take this dog to the vet a few weeks ago, if he now also has a mouth abcess he will be in terrible pain (I know 'cos I've had one) and you MUST take him to the vet asap. If you leave him as he is you are being cruel to your dog. Please, please take him to the vet for a complete check up. I agree with LittlePixie, why can't he go to the groomer AND the vet, if he has to be muzzled so what? He needs veterinary attention NOW!

Yes he does have a heart problem caused by the paralysis ticks.His feet do get sore from time to time mainly if he runs to fast he has got a habbit of runing then stoping to quickly which makes him slide.I will get him to the vet tommorrow i can't now as there closed.If worst comes to worst i will have to change the groomers appointment for thursday.

ok, basically you have to balance your time tommorow.

You said in your earlier post that the vet shuts at 2. So you have from say what 8.00am till 2.00pm to get there. Thats got to be on the first and most important thing to do for the dog.

Inflamed gums

a. Is a MAJOR sign that there is pain

b. Growling when you tried to clean his teeth is a sign of pain

This could also save you alot of $$$$ in the VERY NEAR FUTURE as what may be $200 job could turn into a $500 plus job. Plus it is the same in humans, tooth infections and gum infections can travel straight to the HEART and other organs and you said he has a HEART condition.

Surely their must be another vet near you???

the other vet is a 30minute drive away from us which is the vet i prefer as Einstein is not so scared of going there.The problem lies with my mum as i don't have the money on me i have to lend it off my mum and pay her back when i get paid next.Thursday is tottally booked out for all of us we all have appointments of our own we need.But i will get Einstein to the vet tommorrow and get him groomed on thursday.