"spitting Rewards"

Anyone who was at K9's workshop on the weekend will understand what I mean about the "Spitting" on rewards for your dog.

I have been trying to do this along with lobing the food or droping it from above bears head. He concentrates on the treat and then when it is dropped or coming at him, he dosen't react.

If I get to it quickly enough I pick it up so he can't get it from the ground (but I can't get to everyone, he is pretty quick).

My question is, how long will it be before he starts to understand what to do. He doesn't even snap at the food and miss it, he just doesn't understand at all. :rolleyes:

I have been doing this every day since Sunday and he isn't progressing at all. Should I see any improvement yet?

Edited by Alibear

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine this happens becouse he is very young and not fully coordinated.

Perhaps practice when you are throwing it from your hand at first so it goes high up first and he gets to watch it.

If he tries and just misses it its almost good enough (I bet some will dissagree with me) and he can have a verbal reward for trying, but he is not to get the food off the ground. Have him on lead and dont walk, start by standing and facing him at first.

I hope I gave the right info...... been known recently to do something wrong although instructions were given to me. :rolleyes:

Hi Alibear

I didn't go to the seminar but am familiar with the technique. If I can suggest one other technique that has worked for some. Catching treats from mid-air is a skill, some dogs naturally get it and some dogs need to be taught.

Try it with a crumbly sort of treat first. Feed him the entire treat from your fingers as per normal a few times. Then slowly lift the hand higher so that he is stretching up to reach it and give it to him Once he gets this, lift slightly higher again and slighly crumble the treat in to his mouth. Then keep going from there until he starts to "catch" the treat in his mouth. From there you can start moving the treat into your mouth.

You need to take it really slowly and not allow him to take any treats from the ground should they fall.

There are a set of videos by Joanne Plumb called Obedience 1 and 2 (I think). They show you some really nifty techniques on this.

Good Luck :rolleyes:

Thank you both.

I figured the whole "from the mouth" was to difficult for him so I started with the tossing of the food, but he lost it and could never find it, so by dropping it from above his head he had concentration on it but has only snapped at it twice in I think 200 tries!

Any suggestion on how to get to the food before he does if he misses it? He is awfully fast!

ETA: now that I have started this, can I ever give him a treat from my hand, or do I always need to "drop" it for him?

Edited by Alibear

I have the tape 'Training the competition heeling dog' with Tom Rose from the Leerburg set of tapes and he explains how he does it in the tape. I started out as per the tape getting down low (sitting) and allowing the dog to take the food from your mouth (not spitting it yet) - basically the dog licks your mouth and you give the reward.

This is done in the 'front' position with the dog sitting in front of you.

Then you gradually and slowly stand up - so first you kneel, then stand with bent knees, and slowly straighten them. Only when the dog will focus on you while you are standing do you start spitting the food.

:( My girl (rising 12yo) I think is "too" trained in politeness! She lets the food treat even land on her nose - if it stops there, she tilts her head down so it rolls off onto the ground. In addition to that, her owner can't spit straight! :o

One thing to be aware of though - be prepared for a few accidents! I have had Diesel head butt me a couple of times if he decides to jump up to get the food, and got a cut lip once when he bumped me with his mouth.

It is good fun! We are now able to do several steps with unwavering eye contact, then I spit the reward and he catches it!

Last night I dropped some treats and one landed on Bear's head and he sat there looking up at me to drop another piece. I was like "tip your head dummy, there is one on your nose" it was pretty funny! :(

He really doesn't get it at all!

Have you started with you sitting on the ground or a chair? Just let Bear come up and when he licks your mouth, give him the treat! (sounds gross that way huh? :( ). Be prepared to be bombarded everytime you sit down though!

If you start by dropping them straight away, he might not understand.

OH had done "take from my mouth" last night.

This is soooooo funny.

Rex took bits from his mouth (grossssss) gently, no face contact at fist but at the end Rex got so eager that OH got a big slobbery kiss on his lips :o , jumped off the lounge and run for his life to the kitchen to wash his face.

I rolled on the floor laughing. :):( ;)

my boy could never catch anything when i tried before but this week at training he was in the down position and was supposed to stay which he was - i was reinforcing by putting food on the ground between paws and i got lazy and started throwing it on the floor - well he started catching it before it got to the floor.....

i think maybe my boy could see/follow it from high up and found this easier????

might try out my mouth when i know hes def got it!!!

I have no idea what any of you are talking about but it sounds interesting? :rofl: anyone want to explain?

Sam :rofl:

They are talking about teaching your dog to focus on your face, makes for good heel work :rofl:

That's right, the days of heeling around an agility course are long gone. Do you have a reliable recall with your dog? If you do, then you have a good basis from which to start agility.

Don't know that I'd do it with a kelpie - too much room for error with the distance it has to fall!

So an obedience Papillon isn't suitable for the spitting technique then?

gal_cali_heel.jpg

Edited by sidoney