Chicken Necks

i wouldnt feed a 7 week old puppy chicken necks..

i would be more inclined to feed the pup wings (cut off the pointy sharp bit) because they are shaped funny and the pup cant swallow them whole like they can a neck..

JMO

My litters begin eating chicken necks at about 5 weeks old (the bones are crushed with a hammer at first) and by 8 weeks old they are munching through necks, wings and lots of other yummy bones.

At 7 weeks old, raw whole chicken necks would be fine. NEVER cook them.

I agree with ML.

Our girls were on fresh chicken necks bashed with a rolling pin so the cartlidge was broken up. They vanished immediately. Our BT Lily tends to inhale her food - like a vacuum ;)

The first time I gave our girls chicken wings they tried to treat them exactly as they did the necks so I ended up holding the wing in my hand with them chewing it for a few minutes to slow them down and encourage them to break up the bones, etc.

Ange

My 6 week old Yank puppies crunch ANYTHING merrily now!

My butcher is a dog person (breeds Staffords) and his dog mince is an absolute joy to behold. It has literally EVERYTHING in it, including broken and crushed chicken carcasses (which he also sells for around 20cents per carcass!).

The babies were started on just the meaty stuff and graduated over a couple of days to the whole thing....it's funny to watch them sorting through the meaty bits to pounce on the chicken bones first....looks like they're bobbing for apples or something! ;)

My butcher is a dog person (breeds Staffords) and his dog mince is an absolute joy to behold. It has literally EVERYTHING in it, including broken and crushed chicken carcasses (which he also sells for around 20cents per carcass!).

Oh ellz, that's fantastic, I'd kill for a butcher like that, here they charge $1.40kg for chicken carcasses.

Yeah Ellz, don't make those of us who can't source such goodies cheap cry ;)

The minute dog folk show an interest in a product here it becomes too expensive for many to buy.

3.8okg for crap I wouldn't feed my MIL at one place.

Dunno what was in it but it certainly wasn't chicken...LOL

hehe...about time we Down Under Down Under had something you guys don't!!

;)

He also has some pretty excellent human-type stuff in his shop as well....AND....he's going to let me agist a pony at his place too so he's pretty useful to know!!

Not bad looking either.....not that I look......often.... :)

ETA: I probably shouldn't mention that his excellent pet mince is only 60c per kg either should I??? :cry:

Edited by ellz

OK...who is this butcher?? Me thinks I need to swap butchers...

Matt at Glenorchy Central....I USED to get my pet mince from Phil at Cove Hill but after the last time when he had to prise the block out of his freezer with a crowbar (I refused to take it btw) I kind of figured I could do better!

I have a feeling your new baby's breeder gets her meat from Matt as well.

Hey Nadia, have you tried that Big Dog food?

I got my first lot last night and it looks pretty good and was great value.

Have emailed them for price and suppliers etc, waiting to hear back.

What did you try?

I went to the manufacturing plant at Northgate and picked up some Weaner mix and Breeder's choice. The weaner mix ($2.40/kg) is 24% fat designed for racing greyhounds so may make the more sedintary breeds a bit chubby (but should be fine for my mad BCs). The breeder's choice ($1/kg) is designed for the breeders of other breeds.

Looks great to me. :)

The guy told me their email is crapped itself and they aren't receiving anything so give them a call.

Guest cloverfdch
ETA: I probably shouldn't mention that his excellent pet mince is only 60c per kg either should I???

:rolleyes: I want your butcher. I pay about a $1.70 for 2 chicken frames, pet mince is pretty cheap though, i pay about $3 for a kilo of diced beef :confused:.

Is there a web site for this BigDog food?