How Much Does It Cost

And what breed is it?

I am curious to ask this question as i have a friend

that tells me it costs him $20 per week per dog. the dogs

get to run around free for about 1/2 hour to 1 hour

per day. They are large lean breeds. He feeds them with

dry food once a day (which stays in their bowls) and then

1/2 each of those huge dog rolls once per day, and sometimes

leftovers. The dogs are healthy and seem satisfied.

i know cost depends on what you feed them and what

breed of dog it is, but i am curious to compare this

amount to what it costs other people to feed their

dogs, what they feed them, how often, and what breed

is your dog, and i guess how active are they?

would love to hear any responses. thanks in advance.

j.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi we have a Saint Bernard 5 yrs old he get two lambs necks whole per day for five days then he has 1.2kg chicken necks with a can of Mackrel (home brand) in oil with a couple of cups of supercoat dry food on the two remaining days to give him change in diet. This costs about $25 per week depending on where you get it from I live in Portland vic but buy most of our meat in Colac because it is better and cheaper. We have the Alcoa smelter here in Portland and I think the traders think we all earn big bucks and have no brains! We also have a tribe of Shih Tzu's seven in total and they would cost about $28 per week depending on what you feed them. You can feed your dog well without spending a fortune. Our Saint Boogie weighs in at around 95-100kg.

Hope this is of interest or helps

Chris

Guest LittlePixie

Currently it would be costing me about $20 a week to feed my two (not each... $20 all up).

I only switched them onto BARF a week ago but so far have been feeding them turkey necks and wings, chicken necks and wings, lamb brisket and shanks, beef brisket, sardines, eggs (from my housemate's chooks) and vegetables. They've had something different each night!

One is a 5 year old Golden Retriever x Rottweiler and the other is a 9 month old random Terrier x.

They eat once a day, in the evening.

Neither of them are very active. Holly gets stiff the next morning if she gets too much exercise (but she's been losing weight, which is helping) and Brody is still growing.

i have 2 papillons and they eat advance dry food.

i give them the recommended amount per day.

i guess that costs me $5 per week per dog.

occasionally they get chicken necks but as they only

eat 1 or 2 each the cost is negligible.

they also get a few scraps but it's hard to calculate

that into the cost.

they only weigh 3kg and 3.5 kg and have 1/2 acre

to run around on but dont do a lot. zoomies a few times

a day. most of their day is spent inside or going for a

ride in the car.

i also have a golden retriever and i give her the recommended

amount of supercoat. she also does zoomies a few times a day

but is a bit overweight (30kg) and i should walk her more regularly.

\she also gets scraps. i suppose she would cost me (with bones as well,

and the rest of 1kg of chicken necks occasionally) $10 a week max.

hope this helps.

I have 2 mini poodles, a standard poodle and a 18week old american bulldog.

The standard is very active but the rest are moderate.

They cost me around $50.00 a week to feed.

The mini's get half a BARF pattie each and two chicken necks each per day.

The other two get 1 cup dry food and 1/4 kilo chicken mince for breaky

1/2 kilo of chicken necks each for lunch

1 BARF pattie with vegies, pasta or rice etc. each for dinner

none of them are over weight, my standard is actually skinny because she never eats enough.

I have a 30Kg staffy x and I started feeding the BARF diet a week ago...the same time as little pixie.

It probably cost me anywhere from $15-25 a week to feed him. If I wanted to do it a little cheaper I could by cutting out some of the more expensive meat and shopping around abit more.

I have a Kelpie cross and a GSD. The Kelpie cross gets Supercoat and a chicken wing, the GSD gets BARF. Both active dogs.

Probably costs around $20 a week total for both dogs, sometimes more sometimes less, depending on if I am buying fish and vegies and livers that week.

hi

i have 2 huskies and a mastive cross

i feed working dog dry food and sience diet active dry food mixed togeather, cooked rice with meat or fish, vegies, and some fresh home made stock, they also get bones of all sorts.

the average cost is $30 per week but this is mainly due to the science diet food.

one of the huskys is doing sledding so after training and racing she gets recharge for grayhounds (it works for other dogs to) and a chicken wing with a small amount of sience diet this adds to an extra $8 per week.

Brodie honestly costs between $10-15 per week to feed. She is a Golden Retriever.

She gets fed BARF, and the most expensive part of her diet is the egg she gets with her breakfast.

She gets the healthier of our table scraps, which is pretty healthy anyway, but I don't give her a lot of rice or other carbs, just a little each week.

She also gets pet grade mince, offal (which is dirt cheap), chicken necks and wings, chicken carcasses and fruit and veges that have been put through the juicer and bulk bones. The fruit / vege pulp makes up about 15% of her intake; meat about 10%; offal; about 10% and the rest is bones and chicken carcasses.

She enjoys the carcasses the best and gets them twice or three times a week, especially since I swapped to getting them from Lennards at Rhodes. They leave on a lot of the skin, and a bit of meat. They also don't clean them out, so quite often there will be bits of guts and offal inside the carcass.

The butcher I go to cuts the dinosaur bones along the axis so the marrow is easier to get to (she is a dainty little princess) and she really digs into them (she gets one half per week). The rest of the bones are briskett bones and chop bones.

I bought her food for the fortnight on the weekend and it came to $7 for bones, $2 for chicken carcases (2 bags, 5 to a bag) and $7 for meat and offal. Add in a dozen eggs and that is about $20 for the fortnight. The veges don't cost us much, because it is mostly the stuff we bought fresh for the week and haven't eaten yet (no more than a week old). If it is ground fine enough she eats it all up.

I currently have 4 ridgebacks and they eat a combination of Hills Science diet and raw food such as chicken necks ect. The cost is about $25 per week for the science diet ( that is for all four of them).

The raw stuff costs about $20 - $25 per week (again for all four) depending on the going price which sometimes varies from butcher to butcher. One of my bitches eates more raw than dry food due to skin problems.

I personally don't like the dog roll food as it gives my guys the runs big time ;) .

Cheers

Bandar :cry:

I have two mini foxies, which cost me approx $7 a week in total to feed.

I feed them mince of either - veal, chicken, roo, kidney, lamb from pet supply places, which costs anywhere between $2 to $3.50 per kg. This is mixed with plain rice and veges (sometime frozen) like carrot, corn, peas, celery, broccoli, etc.

I also buy them kibble - I was buying Royal Canin, but of late have been giving them Pal kibble for small dogs (good little bite size pieces). I feel that they are getting enough with the mince, rice and veges that the kibble is like a side portion rather than meal in itself and so cannot justify the price of the more expensive kibble.

I also give chicken neck, wings about 1-2 times a week.

Very inexpensive, but I guess they are small dogs. Surprises me when people say that their pets are expensive to feed (unless they are large dogs).

BF and I were discussing this last night :) We were saying that knowing what we know now about dogs diets, I would never give them canned food. Not just the amount of money it would cost, but it would compromise their health I believe.

I have a boston terrier and a cavalier king charles - both 6 months. I would estimate we spend $10 for both dogs per week.

They get 2 meals a day and are made up dry eukanubra, chicken wings (1 each in the evening) some offal about 3 nights a week, veges chopped as fine as I can get cause I haven't got a blender, and perhaps and egg and yogurt here and there. They also get sardines but I believe that Lulu, the cav, is allergic to these so I have been avoiding them for the time being.

Ange

Edited by fifi trixibell

With regards to food my dogs cost me around $10-$15 a week which covers the pair of them. One dog is a 9yr old Rotti X (38 to40kg's) and the other is a GSD (somewhere between 42 to 45kg's, haven't had him weighed for a few weeks..lol) who is a couple of weeks shy of a year old. They are fed mostly RAW/BARF and supplimented with kibble (when i forget to defrost stuff..lol)

ETA - weights

Edited by KitKat

In short - too bloody much!

My guys are fed BARF. I have a Whippet who is 14kg and eats about twice as much as a whippet his size should, a Boxer who is nearly 6 months and generally has a very good appetite, and a Papillon who is 1.5kg and only eats about 100g per day :) . On average they eat about 2.5kg of food a day. Their food probably averages out to cost about $3 plus per kg, so thats $7.50 per day so roughly $50 a week.

5.5 yo doberman that gets to run around leash free for 30-60 minutes a day.

About $25 a week, and I shop around for cheaper supplies.

I also give suplements so that makes a bit of a increase.

He is fed BARF.

Wow Drey thats cheap!! If only i knew how to not miss out on all the supplements and what to do i would make the patties myself :)

I dont buy dog food every week i baulk buy it except the bones.

I get 4 rolls of the BARF delivered whenever i run out which is about roughly every 7 weeks, costs me $56 every delivery plus the dry food which at the moment is Science Diet for both but different types one is puppy the other adult so i had to buy 2 bags around $60 each that will last me for quite awhile, its nearly half gone and its been there for about 3-4 weeks now.

In the mornings they get bones and stuff and thats about $4.00 for every 4 days a dollar a day.

Soo altogether it costs about $20- $25 a week but it will drop down quite a bit when Darcy is older and they are eating the same food.

Wow it actually costs more then i thought it did better hope my dad doesnt see this he thinks it costs me bugger all to feed them :)

Ohh they are both Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers Nova is a 3 year old entire boy and Darcy is a 8 month old entire boy as well both very active and in excellent health and fitness as Nova does agility and needs to be kept lean and muscled haha

Edited by tollersowned

We've just changed Bronte (border collie) to Eukanuba and it costs us between $1-$1.50/day to feed. That is with 2 small feeds (recommended weights), 1 AM feed, 1 PM feed, PM feed gets the odd supplement of sardines/left over vegies/marrow bones.

Edited: she also gets bones when she is at home by herself as a treat, and also food treats for training. She gets exercised on average every 2nd day, if not more.

Edited by jodi_b

Hmm this was a good question, made me calculate!

I have been told Henry's diet is over the top before, so if anyone wants to tell me that again, please refrain from doing so as I have heard it all before! It took a while to work out what was best for him, and I feel this is it. He is happy and helathy so I think I am doing ok.

Umm well we have only had Beatrice a couple of days so I won't count her in for this one.

Henry is a toy breed. Very tiny! However I'd say I spend more than $60 a week feeding the little gremlin.

He eats 3 times a day. Breakfast is either one handful of Eukanuba biscuits with cooked organic chicken breast and raw silverbeet. Or handful of Eukanuba biscuits and tinned tuna in oil.

Lunch is either raw organic lamb mince and 2 raw organic chicken necks smashed up because he has been injured by gobbling bones.

Or salmon sashimi and cabbage chopped with parsely.

Dinner is passionfruit and orange chopped up followed by rice cooked with steak and brocoli. Sometimes he has chopped up boiled eggs with raw aparagus.

Throughout the day he has puppy milk and water to drink. I also give him the skin off smoked pork hocks. He likes to chew the skin and drag it's oily residue all through the house!

We go for 2 or three walks a day. He is only little so each walk lasts about 25 mins. He still sleeps a lot during the day and plays with me the rest of the time.

He goes to doggy day care twice a week all day and comes home buggered.

Now Beatrice is here, costs will go up I'm sure, even though she weighs only 1kg she eats a lot more than Henry!

25 chicken carceses- $5

5 Kilos chicken mince pet- $4

5 kilos beef mince pet - $4

Supermarket bag lamb bones -$2

2 marrow bones cut into 4- $3

WTF :)

Chicken carcass' here cost about $2 PER KG!!! Pet mince costs around $3-$4 plus per kg, marrow bones cost about $4 each... where do you live??? I think I'll move there!!! :)