How Much Does It Cost

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW,

I feel kinda dumb now. I am spending $97.00 a week to feed my Dane puppies (2 of them).

That is just Roayl Canin Giant Breed Puppy.

If I count the meat, bones, Sardines, Eggs etc etc etc....... I think I'll go sit down for a while, I just got a headache :(

Cheers

I’ve spent about $950 on food since June, which by the time we get through our current supplies will be about 30 weeks. This was largely raw foods / BARF, and we’re just coming to the end of a free bin of odds-and-ends kibble from Paws’n’Hooves, which was a mix of Iams, Euk, Supercoat and leftover my left-over Advance and Proplan.

I’ve just bought our first bag of Royal Canin and pups will be eating that while we’re camping. It seems very expensive in comparison but I imagine they’ll eat less by weight of Royal Canin than they do of BARF – otherwise that $100 bag will last a fortnight for just two pups! ;)

Overall works out to about $32 per week, which has fed 2-4 dogs -

• 2 female rottixlab pups, who are now 8.5 months and eat a lot,
  • 1 male rescue black lab who I was feeding up to get a bit of weight on and is now on much less tucker,
  • 1 small but chubba female black lab who was on truly minimal food and serious-labrador-boot-camp while she was down here with me – i.e. one chicken neck and a spoonful of vege pulp, or one spoonful of kibble and 2 sardines… bulked up with nyummmmy warm water with a stock cube! :rofl:

So say that averages at 3 normal large-breed dogs…

…About $10 per dog per week for their tucker.

Supplements – over the same period works out at $9.60 per week, and they all get something, so count four dogs...

...$2.40 per dog per week on supplements:

• Sasha’s Blend for the old farts,
  • Vital greens and Glucosamine & Chondroitin for the pups (Gracie in particular) and one of the old farts,
  • apple cider vinegar,
  • and one well meaning but too expensive attempt to get codliver oil and flaxseed oil

Training treats and chews $140 over the same period, (including $24-worth of liver treats that Ruski scoffed overnight and resulted in $325 of after-hours-vet fees, x-rays and treatment… but I’ve only included the $24 ;)…)

...$1.16 per dog per week for treats.

Plus a number of pretty serious vet bills, new crates, collars, leads, tethers, harnesses etc etc etc :(

Better get back to writing out those job applications! :rofl:

Hmmm I got a bit carried away in this post didn't I? :mad

and one well meaning but too expensive attempt to get codliver oil and flaxseed oil

Just a side note - but it might be useful. I feed my guys flaxseed oil and was buying it from the supermarket which was expensive but I've since discovered that Horseland have 1lt bottles for $12.95 :( Much better.

and one well meaning but too expensive attempt to get codliver oil and flaxseed oil

Just a side note - but it might be useful. I feed my guys flaxseed oil and was buying it from the supermarket which was expensive but I've since discovered that Horseland have 1lt bottles for $12.95 ;) Much better.

Much better indeed. ;) Thankyou.

Maybe the farm supplies place in Yass?... :(

I think Horseland in Fyshwick has closed...

Just had a look on the Horseland site and did a search for the company but nothing.

Might be worth giving them a call and asking if they have a supplier near you? These are the details on the bottle

Value Plus Animal Heath Care Products

124 Toongabbie Road, Girraween NSW 2145

(02) 9688 2157

I feel kinda dumb now. I am spending $97.00 a week to feed my Dane puppies (2 of them).

That is just Royal Canin Giant Breed Puppy.

Just got a couple of questions for you...Do you get the breeder bags? and the second being...Does where you buy the RC from do a frequent purchasing card? (buy this many and get one free) if they don't i'd seriously look at buying elsewhere...