Cure For What Ails Your Dog

Great danz, you also need to look at the local supply and availability. I live in a small country town, I virtually live at the four or so butchers so that I can be there to grab the raw meaty bones, offal and chicken carcasses. There is stiff competition to get it too! lots of other dog folk!

I also drive for nearly an hour once a fortnight to a small pet meat abboitoir and try and buy in bulk if available.

I always have to have good quality kibble on hand and freeze as much fresh meat products as possible. I also stock up on tins of sardines, fresh eggs, ect.

I juice / pulp vegies to add the diet.

There would not be enough raw supplies to feed my pack based on local supply, so I think its an important factor to include. Not all of us have access or the funds to have stock sent from far away. Our other consideration; we are in drought, and meat suppliers are hard pressed to cover demand at present.

fifi

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*shakes head* you don't listen before you respond Dane.

There are plently scientific studies, do a google search. Learn to listen before you respond, it's a great trait to have.

I have listened, I have heard all the same "reasons" for not feeding RAW before. I was one of those who didn't believe the benefits either! I fed kibble, and one of my Danes had serious allergies. So with him I had to switch for his health. My other guy did "just fine" on kibble, so I didn't see any reason to switch him. Well, Java wanted to know why his brother was getting all the good stuff!

Anyway, I ended up switching Java over to raw too. I never expected to see such a huge improvement since kibble seemed to be "just fine" for him. Well, he brightened up, his coat looks amazing, no more bad breath, no more doggie smell, and his energy level is much better than it ever was on kibble.

So I did a ton of research, talked to other kibble to raw converters. The benefits are real, and they are the same for the majority of dogs fed raw.

I have NEVER found a SCIENTIFIC study that has PROVEN kibble to be better than raw for the average domestic dog.

So once again, I will request that someone point out this study that I have been unable to find, I would be very interested in seeing it.

On a side note, I'm not sure where your animosity is coming from, care to share?

Great danz, you also need to look at the local supply and availability. I live in a small country town, I virtually live at the four or so butchers so that I can be there to grab the raw meaty bones, offal and chicken carcasses. There is stiff competition to get it too! lots of other dog folk!

I also drive for nearly an hour once a fortnight to a small pet meat abboitoir and try and buy in bulk if available.

I always have to have good quality kibble on hand and freeze as much fresh meat products as possible. I also stock up on tins of sardines, fresh eggs, ect.

I juice / pulp vegies to add the diet.

There would not be enough raw supplies to feed my pack based on local supply, so I think its an important factor to include. Not all of us have access or the funds to have stock sent from far away. Our other consideration; we are in drought, and meat suppliers are hard pressed to cover demand at present.

fifi

Fifi, it's nice to hear that you are making such a grand effort to give your dogs the best you can. That really shows a lot about your character! :cry: And might i say, I LOVE Irish Wolfhounds! They are just such an outstanding breed, friendly and amazingly calm temperaments.

Have you ever considered raising your own stock? Now I know this isn't for everyone, I personally could never do it, but I know that people raised in farm/livestock areas often have a different view.

I still stand by what I wrote under another thread, all dogs are different...you need to find the best way to feed 'your' dog...

Mel, your link doesn't work.

All dogs may look different on the outside, but on the inside they are very much the same.

Providing your dog with the "required" care and providing your dog with the best care are two very different things.

This thread was not about discussing different feeding methods, it's about my challenge to anyone here to try a raw diet for two months. I stand by my convictions.

I have provided scientific data on how a raw diet is best for a domestic dog. How is that 'down your throat'? I have asked for one scientific study, one NOT funded by kibble companies or non-scientific drivel, to show that raw is detrimental to your dog's health.

Still no takers to my challenge?

Here's the link again:

http://secondchanceranch.org/training/raw_meat/

Hopefully it will work this time :cry:

On the inside one would hope that all dogs are the same, but when it comes to how their 'insides' function, genetics, environmental factors etc you can't treat them all the same...

I know what the thread is about, but I feel that there are a few that feed BARF that do have a 'down your throat' approach...If you are going to challenge someone to try a raw diet then you are going to then be challenged from others with different ideals...

For my dogs it is a mixture of raw and kibble...due to the way my dogs 'insides' function, this has been the best method for them...

We've had so many dogs and I think about all the different methods of feeding we have used, and especially working with a racing animal, and I can honestly say that not one method has 'stuck' out more than another, again it came down to what worked best for that dog...

Mel

Worked this time Mel, thanks. ;)

I have seen this web page before, but I have been unable to substantiate this woman's claim in regards to the dangers of raw feeding.

For example, she has done interviews at veterinary schools. Well, I have not yet found a veterniary school that wasn't backed by one or many of the major kibble companies. Did you know that vets are only required to take one or two classes in nutrition to get their degree? As far as I know, it's not even catered to canines or any other animal, just general nutrition.

Veterinarians have a vested interest in debunking the raw diet, for one, most raw fed dogs never have to go in for dental cleanings. Most, I believe 85%, of kibble fed dogs have periodontal disease by 3 years old. Can you imagine the amount of revenue this generates for clinics?

Raw feeders will also not buy the vet brand foods that they sell at the clinics, another loss of revenue.

Raw fed dogs have a decrease of allergies and other generic illnesses since their immune system performs much better, another potential loss of revenue for the clinics.

Do you see what I am saying?

I personally have a wonderful holistic vet that fully supports my feeding raw. She also supports my decision not to do repeated vaccinations on my dogs. We do the 3-year rabies as required by law, but that is it.

fifi

Fifi, it's nice to hear that you are making such a grand effort to give your dogs the best you can. That really shows a lot about your character! ;) And might i say, I LOVE Irish Wolfhounds! They are just such an outstanding breed, friendly and amazingly calm temperaments.

Have you ever considered raising your own stock? Now I know this isn't for everyone, I personally could never do it, but I know that people raised in farm/livestock areas often have a different view.

Hi Danz,

I only have a small acreage, but any locals that butcher a beastie, come on down with the all the 'giblets' & bones!! the local 'roo shooters often drop off some legs and tails if they pass our place during the night! :cry:

My best Christmas morning, was waking up to a bunch of drunken locals (think 'deliverance' music!!) yelling out Merry Christmas, and tipping 44 gallon drums of freshly dead cow onto my front yard! they were in ripped shorts & singlets, santa hats and staggering about my front lawn with chainsaws cutting up cow bits and clutching beers - AND singing christmas carols!!!!!! aaaahhh, the country!!!

I'm also a vegetarian, so killing and butchering my own critters is out of the question! my old wolfie girl was very adept at killing and eating her own rabbits though! I dont mind handling the stuff, but not the 'killin' bit!

My mum had danes, so I don't think any other size of dog was ever in consideration at my place!

Whilst we do appreciate the challenge that you've offered, I think you'll find as has been said, that you are preaching to the converted, or at least the contented with what we do!!

fifi & the hounds

Hey GreatDanz,

I've found more than that, because I did a lot of research when I first started feeding BARF...but at this point in time, as much as I would love to go looking for it all again, I have enough going on here at the moment :cry:

I think BARF is wonderful, but I also believe in other factors that contribute...

So again, I have to go with what is suitable for my dogs...

I do strongly believe in holistic methods, and I am always interested in learning, especially when it involves our furkids - I take their health more seriously than I do my own...

I'm glad you found something that works so well for your pooches...

I wish them all a long and healthy life ;)

Mel xx

"My best Christmas morning, was waking up to a bunch of drunken locals (think 'deliverance' music!!) yelling out Merry Christmas, and tipping 44 gallon drums of freshly dead cow onto my front yard! they were in ripped shorts & singlets, santa hats and staggering about my front lawn with chainsaws cutting up cow bits and clutching beers - AND singing christmas carols!!!!!! aaaahhh, the country!!!"

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

:cry: ;) :laugh: ;) :rofl::rofl: ;)

What a great story!!!!

Hey GreatDanz,

I've found more than that, because I did a lot of research when I first started feeding BARF...but at this point in time, as much as I would love to go looking for it all again, I have enough going on here at the moment :cry:

I think BARF is wonderful, but I also believe in other factors that contribute...

So again, I have to go with what is suitable for my dogs...

I do strongly believe in holistic methods, and I am always interested in learning, especially when it involves our furkids - I take their health more seriously than I do my own...

I'm glad you found something that works so well for your pooches...

I wish them all a long and healthy life ;)

Mel xx

Thank you Ma'am, and the same right back at ya!!!!

I'm always interested in learning new holistic treatments, if you ever find anything interesting please pass it my way.

I have NEVER found a SCIENTIFIC study that has PROVEN kibble to be better than raw for the average domestic dog.

So once again, I will request that someone point out this study that I have been unable to find, I would be very interested in seeing it.

On a side note, I'm not sure where your animosity is coming from, care to share?

There you go again rambling on before actually reading and corresponding the responses.

I never once said that kibble was better than raw, I mentioned other contributing factors that wolves in the wild do not have such as polution, you would be a mug not to understand the link between factors such as polution/additional chemicals in our day-to-day lives which depelets our minerals/proteins/trace elements in our own systems and items that are around us, there are indeed studies on it, not that you would need one, it's pretty much common sense.

I'm stoked that your danes have responded well to raw meat, great for you, just because it worked for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. One good thing is not a good thing for all.

Do you have a background in Science? I do, so I see things logicaly, I believe what is proven in either clinical/non-clinical trials.

I'd really wish you'd stop comparing wolves to dogs, they are not the same, similar but not the same, they lives in compltely different evironments, so their needs are differents.

Anyway, that's all from me, this thread is doing my head in.

Fifi, that's hilarious... I WANT FRIENDS LIKE YOURS!!!! :)

I just want to add, although I am a huge advocate of BARF, I agree that it isn't always best for every dog. For example, some dogs can't eat bones (digestive problems). Also, I know a dog that at 6 feet of her own intestines after being desexed, I would never even attempt to feed her a raw diet for fear that her digestive tract may not be long enough to kill bacteria.

I would also like to add though, that some of the problems described by people in this thread were probably caused by feeding commercial food in the first place. My Boxer has been raw fed (admittedly with some premium kibble here and there) his whole life, and I have never seen a healthier pup :) :D :D

There you go again rambling on before actually reading and corresponding the responses.

I never once said that kibble was better than raw, I mentioned other contributing factors that wolves in the wild do not have such as polution, you would be a mug not to understand the link between factors such as polution/additional chemicals in our day-to-day lives which depelets our minerals/proteins/trace elements in our own systems and items that are around us, there are indeed studies on it, not that you would need one, it's pretty much common sense.

I'm stoked that your danes have responded well to raw meat, great for you, just because it worked for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. One good thing is not a good thing for all.

Do you have a background in Science? I do, so I see things logicaly, I believe what is proven in either clinical/non-clinical trials.

I'd really wish you'd stop comparing wolves to dogs, they are not the same, similar but not the same, they lives in compltely different evironments, so their needs are differents.

Anyway, that's all from me, this thread is doing my head in.

OK, I see you haven't shown me any studies that support what you keep insisting to be the case.

I'll still welcome any links or literature that proves these differences.

In the meantime, some prozac may help with your little problem, I still don't understand your animosity. :)

"some dogs can't eat bones (digestive problems). Also, I know a dog that at 6 feet of her own intestines after being desexed, I would never even attempt to feed her a raw diet for fear that her digestive tract may not be long enough to kill bacteria."

There will always be certain medical cases where many diets will not be appropriate.

In the case mentioned above, I would still feed a home made diet before I'd feed kibble.

Guest LittlePixie
In the meantime, some prozac may help with your little problem, I still don't understand your animosity. :)

Prozac will get rid of you? :)

Also, I know a dog that at 6 feet of her own intestines after being desexed, I would never even attempt to feed her a raw diet for fear that her digestive tract may not be long enough to kill bacteria.

Sounds fascinating :) Tell us more, please..........

A thought Jeanne, the reason dogs rarely come down with food related infections such as salmonella poisoning, is because their digestive tract IS short. Bugs are not in there long enough to cause trouble.