Cure For What Ails Your Dog

Thanks Jed :thumbsup: I'll check it out. And thanks for the tip on the vinegar - No. I havent been doing that so I'll give it a go. 1 litre will be fine and dandy.

Red Belly, Jed. Very bloody complex venom. I've been obsessed with herpetology since Boxing Day but there's so little info out there about surviving dogs after envenomation - probably because most dogs dont in this country.

Haven - I've read all about the vitamin c as a possible way to slow down envenomation after a tag. I'll stick with anti venene if it happens again. Snake venom is way too complex to stuff around and see if something else might work - that's why there's no formal research on it. From the numerous discussions I've had with herpetologists, vitamin c will only work in the case of a dog who has received a dry bite - most initial bites are dry (free of venom). As far as I have seen there is no evidence that vitamin c assists in organ repair after envenomation but feel free to educate me :thumbsup: I'll check out that book by Coleby. Where did you find it? Thanks.

Sorry for the hijack ;) once I get started on snake bite I cant seem to stop :rofl::rofl:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a snake groupie too Raz :p

Have been since I was little. Just to be clear, I am definately NOT saying give your dog vitamin C in place of veterinary treatment for a snake bite. I'm just passing on the info. From what I have read so far it is only mentioned, there are no studies or evidence to support the theory.

I got the book from natures creatures. Lucky for me (and them because I single handedly keep em in business) they're only 10mins from me but the have an online shop if anyone wants to have a look see.

www.naturescreatures.com.au

Raz - re Vit C - I have read a lot of anecdotal information - which looks ok, but the question always remains, when the dog survivies after being given C, if it was a dry bite, or little venom was injected., and the dog would have survived regardless.

Personally, if I lived a long way from the vet, I'd do it, and take the dog to the vet as well! On the basis of "can't hurt".

See what I can do about red belly venom.

One thing I do know about snake venom - it takes a very long time for full recovery to occur. A friend was bitten by a large king brown, and though she survived, she had problems for about 3 years, particularly with her nervous system. You think surviving the bite is good, and the end, but it is only the beginnng of a long slow recovery.

Which is why any snake I see goes to snakey heaven!!

I agree Jed - if I lived over 30 minutes from anti venene I'd be giving it a go as well. And I'm totally with you on just the start of a long recovery. No-one could think otherwise after seeing the CK levels skyrocket and know just how bad the organ and tissue damage is from that. As for snakey heaven - I call it the brain trauma clinic in snakey heaven ;)

Well I'm now giving the vinegar and raw diet a go so shall update down the track :p

More snake stuff....

anecdotal - haven't had the opportunity to try it myself :) :

if you get bitten by a poisonous snake (or - a SNAKE if you don't know what kind it is :p )

THROW YOURSELF INTO THE CLOSEST ELECTRIC FENCE!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :(

Sounds whacky but apparently the small shock will slow down the neurological responses and give you an extra half hour or so to get to medical attention. (Most of our really bad snakes are neurotoxic).

Of course, this sagely advice will only help if you're in a country area :)

Also read heaps on the net about Vitamin C for snake bite - sorry don't know how to post links, or do an avatar, or etcetc but I'll get there one day...

We used an oral mixture of Vitamin C and Sulphur Powder for tick bites on our goats. I'm with Jed - don't know really if the goats would have recovered anyway but if we'd taken every goat to the vet, we'd be broke a long time ago. Never lost one single goat with that remedy.

Have heard it works for doggies too but our dogs aren't expendable :mad They can go to the vet..

Interesting. I havent heard that before. At the very least it would probably take your mind off the pain from the bite :laugh:

I'll make some enquiries with a herper.....it kinda makes sense.

Similar thing with fish oil supps, too much vitamin A and D is not good news.

Cod liver oil contains A and D and for this reason it need to be given with care and not given to bitches in the early stages of pregnancy. Omega 3 fish oil capsules (It is a fish body oil, most commonly Salmon Oil) however, do not generally contain A and D.

My guys get salmon oil, evening primrose oil and cod liver oil (on different days). I have a big bottle of Emu oil on my "to get" list, it is $70 though so I've been putting it off for a while. It has a great balance of omega oils and is more "appropriate" for dogs than EPO as it is from an animal source.

I know a lot of people give their dogs flax seed oil, I have some sesame oil in the fridge that I don't use much - would it be OK/beneficial to give them a drizzle of that every now and again?