Cuts On Paw Pads

My boy's somehow managed to rip a small chunk out of one of his paw pads, and is limping quite badly.

Has anyone got a link on how to properly bandage a hind paw?

And has anyone got any ideas on how to facilitate healing of this kind of cut? I am trying to keep him off it, but he's an active boy and I obviously can't make him lie down for a week. :mad

I jsut got some PadPaint (i think that's what it's called) from the pet place near me and sprayed that on my dogs paw when he hurt it...i didn't bandage it as it needed to dry out etc. It only took a couple of days for him to stop limping and in no time it was fine...it didn't stop him from doing anything but he made a point of looking pathetic!

No, it's a specific drying agent or something that can be used on paw wounds and scratches etc...it's in a pink/red bottle? it's available from most vets and pet stores etc that supply at least some animal medical stuff.

you can also get leather boots from RM Williams that are designed for this. They come in 2 sizes. They are one piece of leather with a lace that you thread through holes (comes with instructions) and it has a couple of notches cut out for the claws to fit through. They are still open at the sides but protect the pad from rough ground. I found them when I had a dog who had a toe removed and I was searching for dog boots. These didn't work for my dog but I keep them in my first aid kit for in case of cut pads. They are about $20 for a set of four and they arrived in 2 days. Order them online via the RM Williams site.

Jo

amhailte, my staffie just cut her pad pretty seriously on the weekend. The vet told us to use Paidaid, but she was just too hyperactive and she ended up aggrivating it more. She has been to the Vet twice now to get it dressed and has to go back tomorrow as it just kept bleeding, she is also on antibiotics. It really is important to keep them still, but so hard to do!

good luck with it!

Thanks everyone.

I'll try to find the padaid - if they don't sell it in NZ, I'm sure they'll stock something similar. Will also check out the boots.

Bellababe, I'm sorry to hear about your poor dog. I hope she heals quickly. :mad

If all else fails, you may need to consider confining the dog to a crate to keep it off the foot.

I know of people who have used that purple antiseptic spray for horses with good results on dog pads. I haven't tried it myself but I'm told it is excellent.

I had that same problem a couple of months ago ... my dog had taken a chunk out of her pad, bleeding everywhere

I put a wad of papertowel over it (after I rinsed it with cold salty water. The cold constricts the blood vessels and the salt will help dry and seal the wound) and then masking and packing tape. It was the ONLY way she wouldnt rip it off over night. Since the tape stuck it wouldnt slip down and I taped it into the 'standing' shape so she could walk around. I had to keep her confined for the first 24 hrs, and the next day I changed the bandage. Of course the morning after the bandage change I woke up to find a dog covered in little pieces of masking tape stuck all over her like snow :mad She was ok, even the vet said. Bandage was impossible bos she keeps tearing it off. Since it was dry, I just kept her inside for another day and then it was ok.

of course I shoudl be getting me some spray. Silly billy does it often enough to warrant it

Hi Kitkat, I think the product you might be referring to is called "Padaid", it is one of the better products there are a couple of other ways, but it is as good as any.

Debbi

That's the one!!! :):mad, thanks Debbi...the question was repeating itself in the back of my mind all afternoon as to the proper name for it... :(

you can also get leather boots from RM Williams

:( I can just imagine your tough little staffy boy, Amhailte, astride his steed with his RM William (riding) boots on! Probably would have spurs on as well!

Sorry ... maybe this medication for my head cold, blocked ears, sore throat and congested chest has made me go funny :mad

ETA: Hope his paw heals quickly.

Edited by Erny

Sorry ... maybe this medication for my head cold, blocked ears, sore throat and congested chest has made me go funny :(

Really? Would never have noticed!! :):mad:)

PS...hope you feel better soon.....I've just recovered from the lurgy myself! :)

Haha Erny, actually I have bought him some boots online, they should arrive today.

They're not fancy leather riding ones though, just nylon ones, hopefully they can double as tramping boots or snow boots for him when he's out bush with me.

Apart from that, just keeping him inside on carpet and off the concrete seems to be helping. He still wants to retrieve on 3 legs, so there can't be that much wrong with him!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. :rofl:

quick check up.. Amhailte how did you go with your boys pad? did it heal quickly??

charli still has a huge slice in hers, ive tried everything but she is just too bouncy and just keeps splitting the wound. She has been to the Vet 3 times!!

Did the boots work?

if only she realised let it be and she can go back to the park again :thumbsup: