What Can I Do Until I Get Paid

I don't get paid for another week and Einstein my golden retriever shakes his head sometimes.They have a waxing kind of smell to them i think they need cleaning.I was wandering can i clean them myself his anal glends also need cleaning.How can i clean his anal glends do i need a groomer to do that.If so will it last for another week until i get paid.

Hmmm I'm no vet but it sounds like maybe he has a yeast infection in his ears.

My two suffer with chronic ear problems so I feel I can tell you something about it.

I think you need to get him to a vet asap, have some tests done on his ears. Just a simple swab of the ear and put it under a slide so they can see if there is an infection be it yeast, or other bacteria etc... Ear cytology costs about $50 I think.

Shaking his head and a smell coming from the ears sounds like medication is needed rather than a simple trip to the groomer...

He may have ear mites, this will show up on a slide test as well.

Once a diagnosis is made, you will need to get some Epi-Otic and cotton balls or swabs and clean the gunk out of his ears, you might then need to medicate I don't know what your vet will say. Perhaps you need to get some powder and pluck the hair out of his ears as it may be trapping moisture allowing bugs to grow?

Also maybe you should treat him with Revolution for the mites.

This is what we did:

After cytology confirmed mites and yeast.

1. Applied Revolution to back of neck.

2. Powdered ears and plucked out hair.

3. Cleaned with Epi-Otic, massaged & wiped out gunk with swabs.

4. Waited an hour for ears to dry from cleaning. Applied Dermotic for yeast infection.

Did the Epi Otic and Dermotic twice a day for 7 days. Retested ears to confirm infection gone.

Now as maintainence I clean their ears with EpiOtic twice a week and remove hair every month.

May be able to get Epi-otic in pet shop or simular. Epi-otic contains lactic acid and salycic acid. There are other brands available that contain same or simular ingredients (leo ear cleaner, clean ear solution to name 2)

May be able to keep ear problem at bay for a few days, but will eventually need a checkup if not improving or getting worse.

I would be more worried about the ear problem than his anal glands.

Ear problems usually mean an underlying infection. Telephone your vet and ask if you can fix them up for a consultation and treatment (antibiotics) when you are paid.

I would not go poking around with any foreign object. The problem may become more apparent if you use simply a suitable canine shampoo.

Good luck.

Try mixing white vinegar 50/50 with water, squirt it into his ears (gently). Warm it slightly first though. Squeeze it into his ear until you can hear it "squelching" and then use a face flannel or a chux or old cloth nappy or something similar to wipe out the residue.

Anal glands are easy enough to empty yourself, however it is best if you are taught to do it properly and do it when the dog is in the bath. And be warned, they do NOT smell very nice!

You might try giving him a little extra meat to harden up his poohs a bit. That will help to massage his anal glands and may help them to drain a little more effectively as well.

These will possibly help you until you get paid and can take him to the vet.

i should have mentioned that when i took him to the beach a week ago he got nocked under water by a wave.Which is what i think caused this happen in the first place.Thanks everyone i might have have to ask my mum and see what happens if she will lend me the money or not until i get paid.

Thanks for agreeing with me Schnauzer. :laugh: Like I said, get the cytology done.

I truly think this dog needs to go to the vet.

Don't know how a wave could cause this? ;)

This problem of people not being able to afford veterinary care concerns me greatly. I feel for you if you are doing it tough, I really do. However after some recent vet bills my OH and I were talking about how owning a sick dog can be more costly than a baby. I mean at least with humans we have medicare and public hospitals and other such clinics and services- but for animals you really need a few thousand on hand all the time.

I mean for example we spent $2000 last week on tests just to find out the problem is an inability to digest dry-food. Pretty simple solution huh! yet it was important that we made sure everything was checked out.

Don't know how a wave could cause this? ;)

Perhaps if sand or water got into the bottom of the ear and the warm dampness encouraged an overgrowth of bacteria???

ETA: Over the past 20 years I have seen American Cockers (and other breeds) with some pretty spectacular ear ouchies due to water being left in the bottom of the ear. This is why it is recommended that the ear be cleaned with an alcohol based cleaner on a regular basis. To help dry any moisture left behind.

Edited by ellz

I see. Thanks Ellz! I still think if it were my dog I would be at the vet at the first sign of infection... Then again I am pretty over-protective of my dogs esp when it comes to ears!

FWIW, I'm not saying the dog doesn't need to go to the vet. But it could be something as simple as an overly damp ear which wasn't dried properly, or whatever.

Had the OP not been able to get to the vet immediately, there were things she could have done which would have eased the discomfort somewhat until professional advice could be sought.

I'm not saying that I'm as "good" as a vet, but in the course of my involvement with dogs there are many conditions I have encountered which I can identify just by the sight or smell. Some ear problems are amongst those things. A damp, yeasty ear has a particular odour about it, as does an ear which is riddled with ear mites. When you've smelt enough rank ears, you also then know which ones require IMMEDIATE attention as well.

so I keep a $100 credit on my account for just in case. That way if I am running tight and an emergency comes up atleast I can get it seen to.

;) :laugh::laugh:

What a great idea ;) . DUH something sooo simple. I think I'll be doing that too.

Thanks for that :D.

Cheers,

Maria

Hi,

Hope your Goldens ears will be okay, sounds like an infection of some sort, those ears can really pong cant they?

This problem of people not being able to afford veterinary care concerns me greatly. I feel for you if you are doing it tough, I really do. However after some recent vet bills my OH and I were talking about how owning a sick dog can be more costly than a baby. I mean at least with humans we have medicare and public hospitals and other such clinics and services- but for animals you really need a few thousand on hand all the time.

Hi Greentea,

A lot of people would find it very hard to have a few thousand on hand all the time!! If I had that much I could get a decent car instead of my 24yo rustbucket..... :rofl: