Umblical Hernias On A Dog?

I was told by the breeder, my new dog has got one unfortunately....she said vets will either remove them or leave them these days, up to individual vets....

so i asked my vet, when he desexes my new dog soon, what will he do, will the vet didn't answer me personally, the vet nurse did, and said they repair it..

so i dont have any experience in this area

can someone explain to me, more about this hernia thing? please

and is it going to cost me heaps?? on top of the desexing??

thanks again guys :thumbsup:

I watched an interesting op on a 5 week old pup with one not so long ago, this umbilical hernia was very large and travelled all the way up to the diagragm. If this pup had been left with the hernia, it would have impeded growth. The pup, 2 weeks on is very healthy and the wound has healed up beautifully

Umilical hernias can be very small and bought about by trauma to the area at birth, to huge, where the contents of the gut can produded out of the abdominal cavity into the hernia and if left untreated, the gut can become strangled and die off.

I would recommend hernia repair at time of the spey too.

thank you Ann and Holly!! :thumbsup:

its not a tiny one, it quite big in my eyes, not that i know what sizes they can get? but i will have it repaired when he gets desexed then , for sure, hes not eating as much as i thought he would, wonder if its upsetting him???? maybe it just that hes a small dog and he they dont eat much perhaps??

kind regards

julie-annne

Edited by my sweet jenna

Generally an Umbilical Hernia will not cause the puppy any discomfort, unless you are talking one like Holly mentioned.

If it was a serious issue I imagine the Vet would have done something about it having seen it at vaccination time.

New puppies often get a bit picky about their food and if he is at tiny

puppy wont have a huge appetitie at best.

If you are concerned speak to your vet about it again.

Best bet normally is to have it repaired at time of desexing.

Very common from what I have heard. Jedda was desexed at 7 1/2 months. The morning of her op I got a phone call that went something like this:

Me: Hello

Vet: It's Dr J from the vet surgery.

Me: Oh? *panicking*

Vet: We have Jedda on the table...

Me: And???

Vet: She has an umbilical hernia. We can repair it while we're at it. Cost is $27

Me: OK. Just leave enough in her so she still works

Naiya also has an umbilical hernia and when she gets desexed they will also sort that out, it is going to cost us an extra $30. Our vet said there is nothing to worry about as it's nothing too major just keep an eye on it....

Kellie, Keisha and Naiya

My baby, Bear also has one. At first, I was really worried about. But the vet reassured me it was nothing to worry about. She said that as long as it popped in & out when u pressed it, it was fine. She also said that when I get him desexed that they can fix it up. She said it's not a big thing unless it gets bigger & harder.

I can understand your concern though! I was exactly the same!! It's hard not to worry about our babies :thumbsup:

Casper had one too which was sorted when he was desexed. Poor darling came back with stitches from his desexing, his hernia, and his removed rear dewclaws. He was probably wondering what mean household adopted him from the pound!

I saw on the bill that they did not charge for the hernia. Either they thought they were making enough off us for the other stuff, or they didn't remove it. He still has a little scar there.

MSJ, it's common enough so don't panic!

THAnks guys, im really feeling much more relieved now and it just not  my joey with one, altho its quite huge, i think :laugh:

now thats another thing white shepherd mum ..hi by the way :o

dew claws,,should i get that done too???hes got them as well

Hi MSJ! I guess what was a small hernia on a 5 month old German Shepherd would be a huge one on a baby Cav!

I think removing dew claws are a personal decision. I know of dogs who have small dew claws that lie against the foot. Casper's ones stuck out from his feet and were loose and floppy. I was concerned that he could tear those very easily. Knowing now what a klutz he is, I am glad we had them done!

ETA - I'm only talking about the back legs. He still has his front dew-claws as they're not a problem.

Edited by White Shepherd mom

I've had a rescue dog that had a huge umby hernia and it was repaired when she had a caesar (came in pregnant).

Also - just out of interest, my 3 month old daughter has one, looks disgusting - like a "doodle on her tummy" as my OH says. I was really worried about it but the drs said that as long as you can push it in its fine. If it doesn't repair itself by the time she is a year old they will operate and repair it. Can only assume that if it is no huge drama on little humans its no huge drama on little dogs.... :laugh: