Aaarrrrgggh! Dandruff

Hi Everyone,

Have never had this problem well at least never this persistent. One of my Staffys has Dandruff and I can't get rid of it. It looks terrible, all these white flakes on a near black coat. I have tried a few basic things but nothing seems to work, any suggestions???

Have you tried the medicated shampoos?

Like Aloveen?

Also our last rottie girl had to have a special oil on her food to stop her skin flaking - she just ate supercoat though, so I'm not sure if this would have been different if she'd been eating more varied / raw / fresher foods. I think (this is years ago now) that she may have actually had seborrheic (sp?) dermatitis - which can be harder to treat than random dandruff.

eta - and yes - I agree about the sardines too. And tinned mackeral.

Edited by Mana

Hi Everyone,

Have never had this problem well at least never this persistent. One of my Staffys has Dandruff and I can't get rid of it. It looks terrible, all these white flakes on a near black coat. I have tried a few basic things but nothing seems to work, any suggestions???

what about fish oil tablets and sardines in oil and rub baby oil in the coat every second day ? and also use a medicated wash only suggestion

she doesnt have a a mange does she? :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your advice. She gets sardines in oil every second day but i will try the Malaseb.
she doesnt have a a mange does she?

Vet has examined the dog and has said it is not mange.

well thats good then atleast you out rule that

have you tried a wool wash it worken on one of my dogs

and i used a white shampoo/blue stuff it worked as well as a anti danruff shampoo what breed is the dog

You will need to look at both internaland external issues to determine what the cause is. Note that it is bettertotreatthe cause rather thanthe symptoms. Some possible things to consider:

Look at the whole diet. It can be more than just essential fatty acid levels (you should know my views on diet by now :laugh: ), but that is a start. Eggs and fish are good. Fish oil capsules provide a 'better' source if you are looking for 'medicinal' doses rather than simply maintenance.

Where is the dog kept? If the dog is an inside dog, what is the heating like? We all know that in winter our skin tends to dry out in environments that are heated if insufficient moisture is added back to the atmosphere. Leaving sources of water around to be evaporated into the air or using a humidifier can help even out the dryness in the atmosphere again. Good for us as well as the dog. You could use a moisturiser on the dog such as sorbolene (you can even use this to wash in in place of shampoo) but that will only be a stop gap if the air is dry.

When you wash, how are you rinsing? Rinsing is one of the most important parts of the washing process. Shampoo etc left inthe coat can cause dandruff. Rinse rinse rins and then when you think you have rinsed enough, rinse some more. Using a mild shampoo (such as aloveen or the sorbolene I suggested above) as some have suggested can help. The suggestion to rinse with a vinegar rinse is good too as vinegar will neutralise any remaining shampoo you have missed. Personally, I would not head for stronger chemical preparations at this point.

HI There

Can I ask what you are feeding your dog and if you have changed it's diet since the dandruff showed up??

Cheap commercial dog foods (when fed without additives) can cuz some major allergies & dandruff in many breeds ... Feeding a GOOD quality Super Premium Food like Nutro or Royal Canin can assist and you then shouldn't need to spend a fortune on additives ..

We fed Royal Canin and our dogs looked great :p ... we now feed Nutro which has a Skin & Coat Guarantee - our dogs coats have never looked better!!

:laugh: :D :D

Once a week we add Sardines in Oil (homebrand costs 49c a tin) and couple times a week add a raw egg to their dinner for protein. My hubby used to work for both Royal Canin & Nutro so if you have any questions please feel free to message me and I'll get him to address it for you :eek:

Cheers

Fish oil capsules 6 times a week, evening primrose oil capsule once a week, and 1 - 2 tsp olive oil per 10kg of dog daily. Eggs are also great. I find that you can do anything you like to treat dandruff etc externally but it isn't really helping the dog unless you find the cause and treat that, usually through diet.

Hi, I'm having this problem with Minx, she is a black/brindle staffy and has dandruff all over her, I bath her the other day but the dandruff came back, I ffed her the raw pets mince and the guy said to mix in a bag of what looks like raw finely cut up veges, so thats her diet, but where do you buy the Malaseb from? :)

Malaseb is available from vet clinics and increasingly things like Pet Barn. They usually will also have the other ones in the range like Pyohex and Aloveen.

Just a note with the mince - I'm only a learner at this myself - but my understanding is that firstly if you're feeding mince it's vital (esp with pups) that they also get bones that they can fully consume (chicken carcs and wings etc) as otherwise it can play havoc with their development. Also with the veges - raw is beaut, but they must be Really Ground Up - pulp - like what a herbivore would have in their tums - as the canines can't break down the cellulose in the cell walls of veges so only get the goodness if pretty much every cell is mooshed.

There's heaps of info about beaut ways to make good balanced diets on this forum - specially if you search for BARF topics and / or maybe search for "bone" "chicken wings" "calcium" etc...

She's a little spunk is Minx!