Heartworm Injection

I have heard differing opinions on the yearly Heartworm injection? I'm currently treating my 1 year old spaniel with Revolution but was considering having the yearly injection and changing to one of the cheaper brands to deal with fleas and intenstinal worms. However, I've recently heard that some dogs have severe reactions to the injections. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks.

hi... :)

I'm not sure if its the same thing you are talking about, but i think joey's breeder adviced me getting it done, said she had heard and known about it being not wise for smaller dogs especially....and didn't recomend it..

I will look on his sheet later and see what she wrote down about it all...if we talking about the same injection?

interesting to read other responses later... :thumbsup:

I think they are great - I've never had any problems, but like anything, there can be side effects in a small number of dogs. However I recommend it to all our rescue dog adopters, and most get the yearly injection, that way you don't even have to think about it.

I have cavaliers and I have no problems with having the yearly heartworm injection though if I had a dog that had a reaction to a vaccine as a puppy I probably wouldnt give it the yearly as it got older

when doing the yearly I dont have it given at the same time as the vaccination I usually have 2-3 months between them

I have used it once just before all the bad info became public. The dogs didn't have any problems but i would not use it again just incase.

Our head instructor and Obedience club had her dog done and one month later it become ill with some rare motor neuron (sp?) type disease, maybe a coincidence but it made me wonder.

As far as I know it was only the ProHeart 6 injection (the 6 monthly one) which was withdrawn in the US. I alerted my vet to it at the time and when I went to get my boy's vaccs done stopped him from giving the 12 month one also. I have a Collie and some have a sensitivity to Ivermectin and related drugs anyway; giving a 12 month dose in one shot was just too scary.

Cheers,

Corine

When I was finding out info about it I was told 'some dogs have reactions to it - enough dogs to be a problem. If your dog has a reaction to it, it's essentially got this poison in its system for 12 months'.

Why chance it? Is it really that hard to remember to give your dogs a tablet once a month?

I wouldn't touch it either.

I WAS a believer in convenience. Yeah, go on, give 'em everything now, saves me coming back later or risking forgetting it.

Now, however, due largely to DOL and a couple of All Breeds email lists I am on which originate in the USA, I have rethought my practices and am going as "natural" as I am able to do so within my means and circumstances.

The same applies to my horses...where possible, I follow "natural horsemanship" techniques with them, both feeding and handling.

Yes, some natural remedies have dangers but they are also more easily treated than a problem caused by heavy chemicals.

It is always interesting to note that Australia seems to ban products which are popular in the USA, yet it always seems to take forever for them to have the same reaction to products which are outlawed in the USA.

Gentian Violet, Boric and Boracic Acid are just two products which we don't sell for public use in Australia any more (without jumping through hoops to get it) yet you can walk into any Walmart Store in the USA and purchase them for a couple of dollars each.

My ex-husband is a printer. He is using chemicals on a daily basis which have been out of circulation in the USA for TWENTY YEARS!

What is the justification for this?

Got Collies.. Ivermectin for us is akin to playing with fire.

I use a monthly tablet. 1st month. easy to remember.

I then use an all wormer every three months (got that on a fridge magnet thing to remind me) to do everything else.

found looking at all those products. Only one or two products (depending on whose brand) does it all. The other ones, well you still have to come back and do something else. Fleas, I dont actively treat for them unless I start seeing them on the dog, or have been in a known flea area as I dont seem to have them here. Found fortnight baths in flea shampoo good enough for me to control any fleas I may have here.

Here's a piece about Proheart 6 from the AVMA Journal. http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/apr05/050415c.asp

The Proheart SR12 signifying Slow Release and '12' for 12 months) contains 3 times the amount of Moxidectin (which is the active ingredient) than the amount which is contained in the Proheart 6 (for 6 months). The APVMA has a notice on its website saying it is aware of the withdrawal by the FDA and is adopting a 'watch in brief' here. Someone in NSW posted on our list that his 8 months old GSD had a severe adverse reaction after the injection. His veterinarian and a representative from Fort Dodge told him that the dogs deteriorated condition had nothing to do with the Proheart. product. However, the signs exhibited by the dog were classic signs that the FDA had attributed to the use of Proheart in the US. The owner had not heard of the APVMA until he got onto the Internet. His vet and Fort Dodge representative apparently showed no interest in reporting the adverse experience. The owner has now filed an adverse reaction report with the APVMA.

I don't know how many dog owners on this forum know about the APVMA. It's website is http://www.apvma.gov.au/. They will accept reports of a suspected adverse reaction from members of the public, ie owners of affected animals. Reports do not have to be sent in by veterinarians and the drug companies. We can too! Forms are available from the website, and reports can be submitted online.

Because so few consumers of veterinary products and services are aware of the existence and role of the APVMA, I would like to see veterinary practices carry some signage that advises veterinary clients of this particular federal authority. One files a report of a SUSPECTED adverse reaction to a veterinary product, after which the report is investigated. The biggest problem is that the APVMA cannot get accurate statistics if preorts are not made. If owners knew they could report events then this situation would improve - and all of us would be safer!