Omega Oils

Does anyone know which is the better of these oil?

Megaderm, Vets All Natural Omega Blend, Value Plus Omega blend or plain old Flax seed oil from the health food store.

Megaderm is not in an opaque bottle so I am wondering how quickly it deteriorates. Value Plus does not say what oils it contains so not sure about that one.

My perference is not listed - fish oil capsules. 1000mg per capsule and most economical in bottles of 200. Sold in pharmacies and health food stores (I buy 400 capsules for around $30).

No mess, no need to measure out (except to count them) therefore less wastage and spillage and much more stable than oils which are open to the air etc.

Edited by espinay2

Hey Poodlefan, you've got Alfonzo as your avator, I love that dog! He is so cool! Particularly when he turns into a rotti! :cool:

I use fish oil capsules, I try to get as natural sources as possible ie fish is more natural and bioavailable for dogs than flaxseed :cheers:

I have also looked at getting fish oil capsules but am concerned that I won't be giving the correct ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3. Some of the information I have been reading (Barf stuff) says you can do more harm than good if you don't feed the correct ratio of the two.

Espinay, do you use any other type of oils or do you find the fish oil is sufficent? I really don't want to go overboard with all the supplements either.

I use the Vets All Natural Omega Blend. Find it great, but admit, haven't used much of the others to give it a proper comparison. I use the Omega Blend in conjunction with the Vets All Natural complete mix .... which I also find brilliant (as have most of the numerous people I've recommended it to).

I used to use Flax Seed oil, but i've found the storage/display conditions for some of these oils inappropriate eg. kept in full light in a warm area, so i'm a little wary of them and also now use fish oil capsules.

The Value Plus one contains Omega 3, 6 & 9 (may try this one in the future at some stage)

I use fish oil casules too and it is much cheaper then the pet industry ones. Also, when I was researching a new diet for one of my dogs, I read that Omega 6 can be toxic, so you need Omega 9 to counteract the toxicity hence why some have Omega's 3, 6, 9

Fish oil gets my thumbs up, my dogs coats are very shiny, one that is getting over a litter of pups, has a mirror sheen to her undercoat, something I had not seen before, prior to starting the fish oil.

I have also looked at getting fish oil capsules but am concerned that I won't be giving the correct ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3.

Omega 6 is readily available in a lot of foods - chicken (in particular chicken fat/skin) and lamb etc are good sources of omega 6 so if you are feeding a diet which includes these thing, I do not beleive you need to supplement Omega 6. Omega 3 on the other hand is less available in foods particularly in our depleted environments (although brains and fish and eyeballs etc are good sources! :) ). This is why it is generally suggested to supplement with Omega 3, but is not considered necessary to add any extra Omega 6 (unless you are specifically feeding a very fat free lean diet for a particular medical reason for example)

Edited by espinay2

• 3 weeks later...

hi

omega 3 oils are not very stable and as such supplements are very useful...

a lot of the imported foods have omega 3 oils added to them, however the EPA and DHA components in the omega 3 tend to reduce quickly due to the long transport and shipping times.....so it is better i think to use an australian produced pet food , for example natural balance

We have had dog owners we know use a new oil supplement called 'OmegaMagic Plus'

omegamagic-online supplier , you can also buy it from vets in WA.

This works well as it has the correct omega 3 : 6 ratio, added vitamin B, zinc, and vitamin A to help the skin repair itself....

this works quite well, and is a lot cheaper than the omega 3 supplements many vets sell....I think it's only in WA at this stage, but i'm sure that it should be available in the other states soon through vets...