Royal Canin

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The breeder of my GSDs feeds royal canin, and she has the show dogs and mums on energy and the others on the GSD food. I like the GSD one but recently won a bag of maxi junior at a show and my girls usually on supercoat puppy lost weight on it? They were raised on it during weaning.

Last big bag of energy I bought was about $120, maxi junior is about $95 and the GSD is similar.

I have my two on Natural Balance. It's all natural, made in WA and they're doing great on it. (You'll see for yourself soon! :) )

It's fairly expensive, about the same as other premium breeds, around $80 for 15kgs, but as they're trying to get off the ground maybe they wouldn't mind giving you a bulk discount, maybe for some free advertising? :thumbsup: Worth a try!

Let me know what you find out about Royal Canin, have been considering trying that too!

Natural Balance website

I have my two on Natural Balance. It's all natural, made in WA and they're doing great on it. (You'll see for yourself soon! :) )

It's fairly expensive, about the same as other premium breeds, around $80 for 15kgs, but as they're trying to get off the ground maybe they wouldn't mind giving you a bulk discount, maybe for some free advertising? :thumbsup: Worth a try!

Let me know what you find out about Royal Canin, have been considering trying that too!

Natural Balance website

I've tried it before, not long term though...

That is very expensive, we pay $79 for 18kg of Iams, and then take off our 10% discount...

Every 6 bag is free too :)

Mel xx

That is very expensive, we pay $79 for 18kg of Iams, and then take off our 10% discount...

Every 6 bag is free too :thumbsup:

Ive been told that the RC is a different formulation sold in vets than in shops. Apparently the vet stock is buy 4 or 5 bags get one free, however pet shop you need to buy about ten bags. Will find out for you Mel on the w/end and get back to you. I'm also on that IAMS thing for the price, I think RC is about $105, so a fair chunk more than the IAMS.

now what's your reasons for choosing and 'energy' kibble when the dogs are not in work...

Because my dogs have a tendency to be underweight on lower energy foods - they simply will not eat enough of such foods to maintain weight. They will eat enough of the Maxi Energy tho!

Have never had a problem with overweight dogs!

I get the Eagle Pack delivered to the door from a guy in Canning Vale . He does the breeders bags of 22kg for about $65 if you buy two or more at a time.

The local butchers do a real good pet mince for 99c a kilo fresh , and 4 fresh chicken frames for 99c.

Sue

now what's your reasons for choosing and 'energy' kibble when the dogs are not in work...

Because my dogs have a tendency to be underweight on lower energy foods - they simply will not eat enough of such foods to maintain weight. They will eat enough of the Maxi Energy tho!

Have never had a problem with overweight dogs!

Greyhounds can stack on weight so easily...

What type of sighthounds do you have?

Mel xx

I get the Eagle Pack delivered to the door from a guy in Canning Vale . He does the breeders bags of 22kg for about $65 if you buy two or more at a time.

The local butchers do a real good pet mince for 99c a kilo fresh , and 4 fresh chicken frames for 99c.

Sue

I think I know the place Sharae Kennels? They sell heaps of different types of dog foods...

I was told to check out Eagle Pack, thanks for that info...

We can get chicken mince for a fraction cheaper, but it's frozen...

Frames, umm we get a shopping bag full for around $2.50 (that's from Lenards)

Mel xx

i picked up 10kg box of carcasses for $10 at leanards... there were heaps in it!

the place i use to live near in Sydney use to sell me 30kg bags of kennel mince (chicken carcass, puppy mince, pet mince, bones etc all mushed) for $23.... was great!

now I get roo meat, lamb bones for nothin here :thumbsup: tis great living in the country :thumbsup:

Nutro or Royal Canin

If you live in Queensland I can give the number of the Qld RC Rep (and she is happy to give out direct contact details for Reps in other states) as she is a friend of ours so you can discuss which range is best for you OR please feel free to PM as my better half (Jody) has worked for Royal Canin & until recently was the Nutro Rep for Australia.

Honestly?? Jody has done miles of reseach on Canin Food Nutrition and we have yet to find a better Super Premium available in Australia than these two BUT gather the recommendations of everyone and do your OWN RESEARCH - you'll be surprised at what you find.

Having said that - I am sure there are dogs out there doing really well on the lower quailty/higher costing foods. You'll find posts from Jody (HoundDog) and I everywhere in relation to this subject :thumbsup:

PS: Have heard Eagle Pack is also quite good and from our research it does look good but have not been able to source it for our dogs to try.

The man's name is Colin and he's really nice and helpful , can get the no. out if you like but is also on the website :thumbsup: Some of the other ones are a bit dearer around $80 for smaller bag , like large breed puppy , holistic etc . but it is one of the very few dry foods my Lola will eat :thumbsup:

Sue

They are on the large breed puppy still , he says they can stay on that til about 18 months , then I could get the breeders bag :thumbsup:

At the moment they have been hoovering up the small pup biscuit I got for Nelson :thumbsup:

I wonder if Nelson eats enough of theirs would he grow into a Lab ? :thumbsup:

Sue