Luxating Patella

Dublin

Thanks for that link, YappyLittle Dawg. It has helped to ease my mind. Dublin has been limping on and off lately, only when he first gets up after being asleep, and only for the first 10 steps or so. It doesn't look like the description though. A trip to the vet coming up, I think!

Hey dublin! if its when the dog is first getting up this would describe a luxating patella! The reason being that when your dog is first waking up his/her muscle is pretty cold and you will find once the muscles around the patella warm up they will hold the patella in place better! You may also get this problem on cold days.

• 4 weeks later...

My dog will give a little skip every now and then when we're out (never around the house), she just holds her leg up for a step or two. The vet said she's fine now, but will probably have a problem when she's older and to go back when she's doing it more often or longer periods.

Hey Dublin, we had a rescue with this, and he just had his surgery on Wednesday...

I think it's best to get an x-ray because it can cause more problems for your dog later on, so it's good to know just how bad it is...

The rescue dog we had was only 12 months old and was showing signs of early athritis...

Mel xx

i was wondering if to do a post on this subject, as ive just done a post on my limping dog, a couple days ago bout this possibility? :party:

Ive had my dog at the vets last night, she fairly confident its this, but feels its at a very mild stage. Hes on antiflamtories atm and rest for 7 days.

She Will reaasess it in a weeks time, if to take further action.

Shes telling me, not to overeact, in my case,sometimes its just a one off occurance or can go on to further problems.......so im at step one just now....

i dont know much bout it, but have been reading up on it this arvo, its not alll bad news for everyone, so will have to see what develops...

She will xray, if need to later....hes not in heaps of pain or discomfort atm, and has not limped last few hours :love:

They not talking surgury for him, just yet.

I do trust my vets but sometimes it's good for your own piece of mind...

Mel xx

thanks Mel :love:

im surprised i didn't get more responses to my post, luckily not too many people are going thru it or have gone thru it :party: ..apparently its not uncommon among smaller dogs in particular, especailly when they still growing and running around and playing actively.

xxx

I thought it was a luxating patella. the Vet wasn't convinced and even wasn't sure about his hips although I said his hips were fine...

Bronson was also not the 'normal' breed being a Staffordshire Bull Terrier x that weighs now just over 25kg - he's a leggy boy...

Hopefully your dog is okay, but again it's best to get the all clear than let it keep going and then causing further damage that cannot be fixed...

Good luck :party:

Mel xx