Boy Doggies

me too!

D was desexed at 8months and still 'squats' at 3yrs - I'm happy about it as well. Some other earlier desexed males I know cock their legs....

I think Dad feels he isn't as macho if he doesn't cock, but it makes walking him easier and I don't have to worry about getting sprayed when I'm standing around :thumbsup:

Edited by Vehs

Guest LittlePixie

Brody started cocking his leg a matter of days before he was desexed at around 7 months.

He still squats a lot of the time though. Only really cocks his leg if he thinks he's being "manly" and marking trees or bushes... if he actually needs to pee, he squats.

Both my greyhounds were/are squatters. Sam wasn't desexed until 4 1/2. Piper at 18 months. Piper will, very rarely, cock his leg. I prefer them to be squatters as they don't seem to have the same need to mark everything!

Ned my SWF cocks his legs, (desexed) Zephyr started cocking his leg at about 6 months, but until then he just stood and lifted up his front leg so that he looked like a poof.

Zephyr (desexed) cocks his leg on walks and sometimes over Ned, but mainly at home he pees like a girl. He has also started lifting his front leg again.

Fitz does both, I think it might have something to do with grass length in his case though, as well. If the grass is higher he tends to lift his leg, if not he squats. :D

Maybe its cause hes so little :)

He was desexed at around 1 year old, and started to do when he was an adolesent, around 8/9, or maybe 10 months of age.

Mine cocks to mark, and squats to "proper pee".

I too would rather have a dog that didn't naturally cock his leg, cos it's a pain trying to teach them not to do it. (Let's face it, there's nothing grosser than a dog leaving little pee spots on your neighbours fences and letter boxes when you're out for a walk; plus the last thing I need my dog-aggressive dog doing is marking his territory all around the neighbourhood.) My dog now knows that marking on leash is not appropriate, but I've never been able to stop him marking off leash.

:D

My Solly 17 mo desexed at 12 mo...sqwats in the backyard, and cocks his leg sometimes outside, but usually without wee :D

Squatting is so much better. Just once in a half a day, instead of all corners in spots and stops under every tree.

And yes, Stella, being a desexed bitch, rises the leg outside all the time! :)

Val Bonnie in her book recommends not to allow dogs to mark territory outside your fence, as it isn't theirs, really, so they would feel more like guests and get less agressive towards any passers-by...

Edited by Koza

As you can tell from all the replies, there is no magic age for a dog starting to lift his leg to pee!

My Lab was desexed at 9 months and started lifting at about 12 months old, so desexing definitely did not prevent the behaviour. My Vizslas started lifting at about 8-9 months old, although the younger (3 years old) still squats in my yard. My Whippet started lifting at 4 months old!

Like others have said, encourage continued squatting!! I don't have a particular problem with dogs lifting their legs to pee (and I most definitely do NOT allow them to pee on peoples letter boxes when out for a walk!) and I actually see some advantage when I'm trialing my dogs - take them to a tree before we go in the ring and they can relieve themselves. However, I'd prefer my washing line post and the trees and bushes in my yard weren't peed on :rofl:

My 21 month old Elkhound started lifting his leg between 8 - 9 months, yet his brother does not show any interest and just stands there.

At times I wish mine did not lift his leg because I would not have to grab a towel every time he lifts his leg on the furniture!