Anal Glands - Your Dogs Reactions

hopenfox

Faced with the possibility of having to empty my dogs anal sacs, I'm curious to hear from other's who do this themselves, what their dogs reactions are...

Do the dogs freeze and endure or snap or tremble in fear or try and escape?

My dogs are quite sensitive and I'm sure they'd be horrified if I pushed a finger in there!

My ex-foster dog Jaffa had his anal glands emptied out a couple of times by a vet at work (using gloves and lubricant).

He would squirm, squeal and try to run away, it would take two people to hold him still, and he would usually wet himself with fear.

So all in all, he didn't like it!

But unfortunately being a daschy cross they kept giving him trouble, so it had to happen.

Hope your dogs are more accepting!

Maybe try doing it externally first? I think a dog will react more negatively to a finger up the bum than a bit of a squeeze from the outside.

I have to do it semi-regularly for one of the dogs here, if there's someone to hold her front end and calm her down she's quite placid about it, as long as I don't take too long. (Some of our previous dogs I would not have dared to try it though.)

I think maybe the feeling is a bit of a relief if it's done quickly and calmly? I've never done it internally though. I lift her tail upright and use the other hand to pinch-squeeze the glands upwards towards her anus.

Note though - when bending over the dog's rear end, do not lower your head! The material is wetter than you might expect and can squirt like a water pistol. Place a papertowel or something right up against where you're working so the liquid just runs down over your gloves rather than squirts. (Sorry, but better you know in advance, yeah? :thumbsup:)

Had to do it on a dog I used to have almost weekly.. mind you being a husky.. probably a bit easier..

But I always did it externally.. gloves, lubricant still, tissues then heaps of treats. Just dont bend you head down to REALLY see what you are doing.. you may end up with something in your eye.

vet taught me.. position your fingers at 4 and 8 o'clock.

My dogs are bathed weekly and I empty anal glands when they're in the bath. No real dramas whatsoever. They just get that "oh here we go again" look on their face and then it is over with in an instant and "the evidence" is simply hosed down the drain.

Out of four dogs I could say only one dog will relax and let me do it.

Two person job, lots of tissues and gloves (who needs them). Lots of coaxing and happy times.

One dog I have to get the daughter to hold a bone in front of her nose. Ssshhheeeesssh. :)

Do it when they least expect it. :(

Poor Lillie has to have it done externally fortnightly. She shivers when she sees the vet but no other sign and she is so much happier later.

He will not let me do her as she is so tiny 2.2kgs.

I would try externally first.

Also the vet told me to use Physcillum husks in her food and I have to admit the visits are getting monthly now.

Hopefully as she is getting more and more into the barf diet it could be much longer.

We did try to clean Jaffa's bum externally first, but unfortunately it required more than that.

He definately didn't like it, but most dogs generally aren't a fan of anything going into their bums, which is understandable!

There was a thread on here a while back with detailed instructions on how to express anal glands, including a flash animation. If you do a search it would come up.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I think is ether 8 and 4 oclock postion pushing it up and pull out or 10 and 2 oclock position pushing is down and pull out. right?

My sheltie ever had bacterial infection from his anus to the hindquater to the under belly to the chest and the ears. The vet says its because of the anal glane that causes the infection and when the vet clears his anal glance, wooh, the smell and the load of the dirty and stinky stuff. My lesson learn, always clear their glance every bathing session.