Training

but how do I think like a dog?  I some times cock my leg behide the shed.

I think Lablover means try to understand your dog's point of view.

Things that might seem obvious to us (like the meaning of the work sit, or the undesirability of peeing in the house) are much less obvious to an 18 week old puppy. And if your dog doesn't fully understand what you're asking, she is not going to be able to do it!

:laugh:

but how do I think like a dog?  I some times cock my leg behide the shed.

I think Lablover means try to understand your dog's point of view.

Things that might seem obvious to us (like the meaning of the work sit, or the undesirability of peeing in the house) are much less obvious to an 18 week old puppy. And if your dog doesn't fully understand what you're asking, she is not going to be able to do it!

:crazy:

OMG, once again I have accidently typed my feelings incorrectly. I wish to apologise.

I wanted to ascertain that the dog was 18 weeks of age not 18 months. My adding (rather flippantly, sorry) was my one of my favourite new works TATLAD (try and think like a dog).

At 18 weeks puppies learn so much. It is I think one of the most fun periods in a dogs life. They are little sponges learning their way around their worlds. It is a time when we can teach them gently but with depending on our standards, what is expected from them.

I would not be doing formal obedience with a young pup of this age, but rather encouraging them to learn, how to learn and basic manners. I would have for example have a long check cord of them when loose so I control them, if and when I require. I let them be puppies all the same, but with a goal in mind.

OMG, once again I have accidently typed my feelings incorrectly. I wish to apologise.

Sorry, if I misinterpreted what you were saying, Lablover. :crazy:

I have been expecting too much to soon so I have gone back to treats every 2nd command with good results.

I think that's good to hear too. She's only young, so there's plenty of time to become stricter when she gets older. At the moment she's learning that obedience is fun and rewarding - and that can only be a good thing, right?

;)

Sorry, if I misinterpreted what you were saying, Lablover. :crazy:

I have been expecting too much to soon so I have gone back to treats every 2nd command with good results.

I think that's good to hear too. She's only young, so there's plenty of time to become stricter when she gets older. At the moment she's learning that obedience is fun and rewarding - and that can only be a good thing, right?

;)

No, you covered/explained me well, I appreciate it. Thanks.