Wormer/flea Control/heart Worm

Erny

Well ... maybe it's not so new, now. About 12 months ago, I got told there was a new "spot on" treatment coming out - I'm sure I was informed that it would cover worms, heart worm and fleas. Not sure about mites or ticks, though. I think the name of the stuff started with "A" (but not sure).

Does anyone know of it and its name? Can you tell me what it treats? I'm particularly interested in the worming aspect of it, as my girl has irritable bowel syndrome and I like to avoid putting unneccessaries down her stomach if I can avoid it.

Any advice or thoughts (good or bad) would be appreciated.

ETA: I presently use "Revolution" and give worming treatments orally.

Edited by Erny

Thanks, IR, Nadia, Melt and SR for your replies - most helpful. Did a "google" for Advantix ... can see it treats only for mosquitoes, ticks and fleas.

It seems "Advocate" is the one I was told about. For some reason I'm not getting that up on "google". Will look up under "Bayer" - thanks SR.

Does any one here use "Advocate" or have an opinion on it versus "Revolution" (other than the fact Revolution treats mites, although not worms)?

Advantix does ticks and fleas, mozzies, sandflies, flys, and lice.

Advocate has not been too popular up here, but Advantix has taken off big,

it really depends on what your area is like for what pests. Ticks are a pain here so

the choice is Advantix.

Advocate is becoming quite popular amongst our clients, particularly for the smaller dogs. I used it on my own dog while I was living with family (who have two cats, a large dog and a flea problem) and I was quite happy with it. I'm now living at home again, in an apartment and no flea problem so at the moment, I am using the Guardian chews + Advantage as needed.

As for Revolution vs. Advocate - reports from clients are that Advocate / Advantage is better for fleas. Advocate also does the Otodectes (ear) and Sarcoptes mites like Revolution, and is registered for the treatment of Demodex however the information coming out at vet seminars etc is that the result isn't quite what Bayer had hoped for.

As others have said, 3 monthly treatment for tapeworm is needed with Advocate - none of the spot-on treatments will do that. Sentinel Spectrum and Interceptor Spectrum will do heartworm and intestinal worms including tapeworm, Sentinel also does fleas (though not as "completely" as the spot-on and flea only treatments).

Thanks, Rappie - great info.

Ok - what I want to cover, in particular, are the fleas and ear mites, as well as heartworm and worms in general. The treatment my girl presently gets for this is a combo of Revolution (once a month) and Popantel Allwormer Tablets (once every 3 months).

As I'd like to put as little down my girl's stomach as possible, due to IBS, as I mentioned, is it going to make any (better) difference if I use Advocate, given that I still have to give treatment for tapeworm and hydatid tapeworm by way of tabs?

ETA: I've seen no evidence of any flea problems under treatment by Revolution.

Edited by Erny

Hard to say what difference it will make Erny. If you switched to Advocate then you would only have to give a tapeworm tablet (praziquantel) rather than the all wormer. You might find that it has less gastrointestinal effects than the all wormer, I can't say for sure.

Most of our clients using Revolution are using it on cats - and they are all very happy. I'm not sure if it's a real or imagined efficacy problem with dogs, it may be that some are using the perceived lack of flea control as an excuse to "upgrade" to something that treats intestinal worms too :laugh:

Thanks again for your informative response, Rappi.

Leaves an opening for me to see if there's any research results available regarding gastrointestinal affects by wormers. Off I go to google ..... :laugh:

Advocate will do heartworm, fleas, intestinal worms except tapeworm and external mites.

Sentinel Spectrum will do heartworm, fleas (sterilises adults, not kills) and intestinal worms including tapeworm.

Interceptor Spectrum, as for Sentinel but minus flea control.

Revolution in dogs does heartworm, fleas, ear mites and sarcoptes (does some worms in cats).

Advantix does fleas, ticks and lice.

Advantage / Frontline do fleas only.

Heartgard / Proheart etc will do heartworm only.

Heartgard Plus does heartworm + some intestinal worms.

For full protection from external parasites, does that mean Advocate, Advantix and Sentinel Spectrum should be used together so that fleas, ticks, heartworm and tapeworm are covered?

Doubt it, Andromeda .... I figure there's too much overlap, which means we'd be dosing our dogs with too higher level of the chemicals involved with the treatment of these various parasites/worms.

I go for the "spot ons" that cover fleas and mites and heartworm, as that is what I find most affects my dog. I'm in the south eastern victorian region and whilst ticks can be a problem in some areas (usually bushland), I don't find them a problem to my dog in our everyday suburban life. If I was to be visiting an area where ticks could potentially be a hazard, I'd probably treat her for a substance which would cover ticks before I went there.

• 3 months later...

just wondering I use advocate and my vet told me that it doesnt cover tapeworm (which I knew) but said that it wont be a problem as they are from fleas & the advocate stops the fleas.....hence you dont need an additional wormer...unless you get fleas.

Did any of that make sense?

Hi I've switched to advantix for some months now and highly recommend it as it also protects from ticks my boy picked up a brown dog tick in our back yard and this product was recommend by many ppl and I know of ppl who had lots of trouble controling fleas switched to advantix and no more fleas, it protects from paralysis ticks, brown dog tick & bush tick, prevention of fleas reduces the incidence of flea allergy dermatitis, larval flea stages are killed in the surrondings of advantix treated pets,

the control of lice trichodectes canis linognathus setosus for 6 weeks

repelling & killing of sand flies

the other great thing about this product it repells mosquitoes so therefore takes away some risk with heart worm I was told you don't need to use heartworm prevention at all but I still give them a monthly tablet just to be on the safe side

This product doesn't treat worms but I would recommend using this product for fleas/ticks and a another product that treats heart & intestinal worms

Cheers,

michelle