Prey Drive Control & Focus..

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K9: I just finished with 4 handlers from overseas, & recorded all the little but important steps I taught, Im now going to transfer this into a "handlers" day in which I teach how to "handle" the dog effectively.

This makes for a very intense day all on its own.. Im going o workshop it in 2006 in which I have people come & handle dogs other than their own.

Show them how to get pack drive through Alpha pressure..

K9: Im going o workshop it in 2006 in which I have people come & handle dogs other than their own. Show them how to get pack drive through Alpha pressure..

Of course, you won't forget us Melbournites, will you ..... :(

Of course, you won't forget us Melbournites, will you  .....  :(

You just had him, we are taking back whats ours ;) stand in the line and wait your turn :mad

Yeah, but we're a dominant species type ..... we take what we wanna when it's good ;) (but we're happy to share!)

Anyways, you've had more turns than us ..... (shouts "not fair" whaaaaaa!)

I was interested to read about SAR training of dogs. I was blessed with a Lab with High Prey drive but who I didn't train until he was 4 years old. On his first track he just took off, and accepted a play with his toy when he finished.

I changed training methods, and would give him a substantial reward at the end of his track,(a tin of sardines was a real favourite) and his motivation increased even further. His drive was so strong he would ignore any food, (and objects) on the track. He obtained TD. I then trained him further, but due to my study commitments we never trialled again. Most observers seemed to be confident that he would have achieved TDX.

He has been succesful at obedience, having trialled at UD, and I have found most of the things mentioned to be useful. I use a verbal marker, and train quickly and smartly. I never lose a chance to take advantage of his pack drive, and make sure that my side is a great place to be. Paying attention is always rewarding for him. Since he was 5 years old (when I changed training methods) he has only experienced a strong mouthful a few times, and time out a bit. Judges have remarked on his speed (for a lab) and how happy he is. Once I hear this, I really couldn't give a dam about the rest.

Now he is twelve, and still coming with me to dog school to show them how to do it, he has figured out that he might as well eat the cat food, and go to the toilet ready for the door to be closed for his time out.

He still won't touch any of the groceries (including his bones and meat) in the car, even though he has never been told to do this!

Steve (K9 force),

I have been using the ball on the string as the reward for Stamp, instead of bumpers and all has been going well.

Until yesterday. I was weeding in the garden, after a few more drills using the ball and had it still pegged to my top.

Stamp caught a dove in the garden shed. I heard the commotion and he willingly brought the dove to hand. After taking the bird from him, I tried to reward him with the toy. He would not have a bar of it, and I put alot of movement while trying. Should I be worried that he was still so focused on the bird. Rather than persist, I let the bird go. It concerns me that Stamp still does not think of the ball on the string, as his main reward (holding more value).

Edited: I was going to Email me with this query, but thought it worthwhile posting instead.

Edited by Lablover

try us..........

once you go pass us (frankly I dont think its impossible) than youll be greeted by K9's german welcoming party.... you dont want to mess with them..... take my advice.....

the only way possible for you is to make him move out of his own will.