Border Collie Help

quill

I need opinions, DOLers--should I clip the Border Collie for the summer?

I know some dogs shouldn't be clipped--something about trapping air under the fur--but I don't know about BCs, this being my first one....

Not to clip!!! Their coat does protect them from the heat to a degree. Plus if you clip them, next year their coat will be twice as thick and need clipping earlier, then the same for the year after that and the year after that! Plus they look totally STUPID clipped. If anything, make sure you rake the undercoat to thin the coat out, but don't clip!

Yes, but it wouldn't have been funny if you'd actually written out "Shorn". Not your fault I'm dull this morning (and no wise cracks, folks!)

Oh, no, gusgem--just when I though it was settled....waaaaaa!!

They do not look stupid :)

I think they come up a treat.

Their coat does grow back a bit thicker, but if you are going to keep getting it clipped what the hey !

I know there are alot of people against clipping & yes I agree some dogs are not meant to be clipped, most are fine & really appreciate it in summer, god I shave my oldies off every year, I know they feel alot better,

So in the DO YOU - DON'T YOU CLIP arguement I am definatley All for it. :)

I am a no clip person too.

Husky breeder ages ago said the same thing. coat grows back thicker and quicker each time, then is also goes wolly and yucky.

Keep the undercoat out, get those kiddy pools and place sand in it with enough water (know that probably wrong thing to say in drought) to keep it damp in the shade somewhere, and plenty of water in summer.

Be sensible and dont exercise in the heat.

I prefer to not to see them clipped, every year I clip dozens of them with thick carpets that you can barely get a blade under, of course most of them never see a brush or comb between their annual or 6 monthly haircuts.

My hairless and almost hairless dogs pant as much on hot days as everyone else.

The dogs in full coats don't seem to be affected any worse than the others.

Paddle pools, lots of shade, fresh water in multiple containers, keep them groomed out properly, exercise/train in the cooler parts of the day, and keep the weight off them, all assists in keeping them comfortable.

Not to clip!!! Their coat does protect them from the heat to a degree. Plus if you clip them, next year their coat will be twice as thick and need clipping earlier, then the same for the year after that and the year after that! Plus they look totally STUPID clipped. If anything, make sure you rake the undercoat to thin the coat out, but don't clip!

Ditto.

If you go and find one that has been clipped for a few years in a row, you will see the effects.

I'm for the not clipping for the reasons stated above such as temperature regulation and the coat growing back in a different condition. In the case of most double coated breeds I'd be against clipping, unless the dog was fairly old 12+ and could not stand long for regular grooming at home.

Matted and packed coats are not helping the dog to remain cool, however if the coat is well maintained and the owner exercises commonsense (ie not walking the dog in the middle of the day and providing a cool area to sleep in, paddle pools etc) there is not much reason to clip off a dog.

A poor oldish Tervernen (sp) comes into work for a bath,

"Oh, could you maybe clip his bum? He sits on it all the time and becomes matted"

"You do need to brush it you know...."

The dogs backside looked awful, but brushed out very easy with a bit of conditioner :)

We used to clip my old BC Jess in summer, but purely from a practical point of view. She was a farm dog, it was easier to check for ticks, and hardly any maintenance on her coat.

With Bronte, we will never clip her, just make sure she has plenty of water, get her swimming whenever possible and lots of doggie iceblocks during the day!!

I am a not clip person, coat grows back all fuzzy and curly and looks terrible. A border is a double coated breed and the undercoat should keep it cool. If you must clip it just do the underneath bits a bit shorter. I have only ever clipped the one sheltie when he was 16 and didn’t like me grooming him and I didn’t find it made any difference to how hot he got

Clipping should not be a substitute for grooming but frequently seems to be used as one.

People who clip off coat thinking they are doing their dogs a favour seem not to understand the fur insulates from both directions. It helps prevent heat loss in cold weather and to prevent heat gain in warm weather. It also protects against sunburn.

IMHO, if you buy a coated dog you should be prepared to care for one. I think clipped long hairs look ridiculous.

They do not look stupid

Yes, yes they do. :shakehead:

I agree with what Vehs said exactly:

I'm for the not clipping for the reasons stated above such as temperature regulation and the coat growing back in a different condition. In the case of most double coated breeds I'd be against clipping, unless the dog was fairly old 12+ and could not stand long for regular grooming at home.

Matted and packed coats are not helping the dog to remain cool, however if the coat is well maintained and the owner exercises commonsense (ie not walking the dog in the middle of the day and providing a cool area to sleep in, paddle pools etc) there is not much reason to clip off a dog.

PLEASE do not shave your Border Collie (or any other double coated breed). If you do :laugh: please be aware that not only has your dog now lost it's insulative coat, but it's skin is now exposed to the sun's rays and can possibly be getting sunburnt and very painful.